soundcard not being shared across programs

Kerose

Soundcard/Interface: M-Audio Fast Track Pro
PC: Dell Inspiron 9100, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 1 MB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3

Programs: Sonar PE7, Reason 3.0,

Okay so I have been using sonar and reason, usually rewiring reason through sonar as a synth device. I have been tracking and mixing this track. I get done mixing and want to listen to my mix on some other systems, but first I want to listen to the track in Winamp or WMP to make sure that the audio from Reason wasn't missing. Problem is, now Winamp won't play nothing. It functions normally just with no playback, it shows it's playing but i hear nothing.j This is the same for WMP as well as Quicktime. I've tried playing both Wav files and mp3's, my own as well as files i've ripped, downloaded etc. so it's not the files or nothing. So I restarted my computer thinking that Sonar "stole" or "hogged" my soundcard and wouldn't share. Well I checked Sonars preferences and made sure it said to share drivers with other programs. I restart my comp, and immediately start winamp and same thing. Now i've chekced my soundcard's control panel and there is no problem there at all. I've gone into sound and audio devices and my soundcard is listed and I see nothing at all out of the ordinary. I have gone into device manager, and I don't see anything that is strange. This seems to have just sprung up out of the blue. Ive used this setup in the past with out experiencing this issue. someone please help....Thanks.

no.., like i said, i've restarted my computer and it still won't work for any programs i use, it's pretty much a permanent thing now... Last night i did find try two more programs. ReCycle works fine, and Audacity doesn't.

So now Sonar, Reason and ReCycle all work as usual.
Audacity, Winamp, WMP11, Quicktime, and any internet audio do not work at all.

Couple thoughts.. sounds like 'sound cards' are fighting over stuff.

go to the control panel, 'Sonds and Audio Devices', 'audio' tab and check what is chosen there. Depending on how you are set up, you might want to change the option (will probably have something listed for your onboard soundcard, another line for your interface, etc..). Muck around with these settings...

Also.. you can tell Winamp (and audacity, etc..) which sound device you want to 'control' it. For Winamp: Hit CTRL+P, go to 'plug-ins', 'output', wavOut output, double click it... and choose the proper device.

I know i'm not giving you the exact solution.. but i suspect if you check around in these areas, you'll get it fixed.

not sure what tab you are talking about in 'sound and audio devices'. I've checked all of that, when my soundcard is connected it grays out the first tab, the second couple tabs with like playback device, recording device, etc. i have all that set to my soundcard, all that is in order, if it wasn't then the previouslly mentioned programs shouldn't be working either I would imagine. As for Winamp, yes I have gone to the preferences and tried to configure the plugins, i have one for wave out and for directsound, which i believe direct sound was being used before. I've changed it to wave out plugin and configured, but don't believe i saw any options for selecting my soundcard, at least not the specific name, it may have said something generic. And this would only explain Winamp, not Quicktime, WMP, as well as Audacity doing the same thing. I usually don't post ?'s on this stuff less i've taken most the obvious routes, but dang, i gotta be missing something, perhaps i will try and disable my onboard soundcard through device manager or maybe just a system restore might do the trick..........

Back