soundcard advice?

Dropped Z

Alright, let me preface this by explaining what my current setup/goals are... I'm using a Tascam 424 to do the basic recordings and mixing down into a VCR. When I finish recording I plan on dumping the songs from the VCR to the computer as separate files, master and normalize them, and finally create a CD. I'm not looking for enormously high quality recordings here obviously, but my concern has to do with the soundcard I'm using... it came with the Compaq I'm using and only has a 1/8th inch input. I've already got a RCA to 1/8 adapter but I'm concerned with the quality of the transfer. Would it be worth investing in a better soundcard for this process? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on a soundcard under $150? Thanks much for the advice!

You will see an improvement with a better card although tracking on cassette won't give you a lot of clarity to lose. You should skip the VCR and master directly to the computer.

The Delta Audiophile is a good entry level card close to your budget.

I second the motion for skipping the VCR and second the motion for the Delta Audiophile also......

i might even motion to consider recording straight to the Audiophile, even if you have to you the Tascam's preamps......unless there are other issues such as portability to factor in........

Back