Soundcard advice please!

cathryn1975

Hi folks. I'm a youtuber, covering all fairly gentle genres of music, and occasionally doing the odd cd for family and friends. As long as I'm not vocally multitracking more than twice, i can get my balances fairly good and produce a perfectly "listen-to-able" sound. I record on my laptop (Packard bell easynote TJ68) with a samson C01u usb condenser mic which gives a fair sound. I dont own monitor speakers, relying on just some cheap sennheisers earphones (yeah i know it's a no no but situation does not allow any different), burning song off, listening to it elsewhere, adjusting etc. Anyway, basically I would like to multitrack more than twice with less interference, improve the high tones, and if poss eradicate or reduce the slight hiss from the mic (only audible in pauses). Would a better soundcard help? Am looking at the focusrite sapphire 6 but I dont know of its compatibility 'happiness' with my mic. Any suggestions/help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advanced.

If you get an interface, you will need another mic. The USB mic will not work with any audio interface.

If you want to eliminate the hiss, you have to be sure you know the source of the hiss. It's possible it's the samson mic as USB mics are notoriously cheap. But be sure the noise isn't coming from other things, like the USB bus, the computer fan, the hard drive, your heating and a/c system in the house, the refrigerator, street noise, any other extraneous noises... etc, etc, etc.

Back