Soundboard vs. Drywall

Alex W

I'm getting ready to start finishing the walls to my rehearsal space and have begun to question my pre-thought layering scheme. I had to pull off all of the existing interior cladding so the room-within-a-room concept became a little financially daunting. I've filled all the wall and ceiling cavities with mineral wool insulation and am now faced with a decision on how to proceed. Originally, my plan was to attach resilient channel to the studs, followed by a base layer of 5/8-in drywall and a second layer of 1/2-in drywall glued to the base (seams staggered and all that good stuff). In the process of getting quotes from area drywallers (BTW--all way too high so I'm probably going to go ahead and do it myself) they all recommended putting a base layer of soundboard directly on the studs, attaching the RC channel to that, and then installing a 5/8-in layer of drywall. All claimed this would give me much better sound isolation than my original plan. So now that I'm back in DIY mode, how should I proceed? Any experience or advice is much appreciated.

Alex

Back