Soundblaster Live! MP3 and Sound Forge XP

SN

Hello, it has been a long time since I have been here. Thanks for the emails.

I just bought a CD-RW burner (4/4/24) and am tranfering my VHS masters to CDR for convenient quality audio playback and cassette copying.

Things are going well but for two things.
1) I do not recommend ReWriting at 4x speed for file backups. To many crashes. ReWrite at 2x.

2) this is the big curiosity for me.
On soundforge XP, when monitoring the recording levels I see that there is always about 30-36 db of noise from -66 and below. It is there wether I am recording or not, if something is plugged in or not...

The SB Live MP3 is supposed to have a S/N ratio of over 92 db. Was that fiction?

Experiment people.

- SB Live.
- Line in.
- SoundForge XP
- Record levels and monitor mode.
- Line in inputs set so the music is at a good hot volume.
- Turn the music off.
- Zoom out on the rec level meter so you see the full 90 db range.
- Whats with the shimmerinf green signals (noise) at the bottom?

At this rate my CDs may sound like great sounding cassetes.

In Sound Forge XP I've yet to see any V/U meters. Vegas Pro has very useful meters but there are none that I've found in SF XP.
When I have various things plugged into my Gina the noise floor changes dramatically.
Just where along this continuum the sound turns to noise with sound added is very subjective. And your math is off. What you're seeing is a -66dB noise floor, which is kind of shabby. Kind of in league with a TASCAM Portastudio. But if your signal is hot it shouldn't sound that bad....

Back