Soundblaster Extigy

Randy Yell

Has anybody seen the press release for this card?Its in the News on Harmony Central home page.USB card with s/pdif i/o,midi i/o,line in,mic in,analog speaker jacks,headphone jack etc all at up to 24/96 for an estimated $149 street price.Supposed to get along with other soundcards,after you install the software when you plug the Extigy into the USB it becomes your main soundcard but when you unplug it your system soundcard reverts to being your main soundcard.Anyone opinions,comments,ayes or nays?

Still a waste of money in my opinion for professional work. It is just like the Audigy - only 24bit playback. Recording is still only 16bit. I woulnd even use it as my system soundcard because of USB's limited bandwith (12Mbits/sec). The 6 audio channels from a Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD would probably be enough to make the thing choke!

I'll stick with PCI cards for the time being and enjoy 100Mbyte/sec bandwidths...

I was suspecting it only had 16bit recording but I couldnt find antthing specific.The specifacation page at creative doesnt give any indication.Where did you find further info?They said it had 24bit a/d on all inputs including s/pdif.I know the Audigy only records at 16bit but on its specification page if you read the fine print you could figure that out but I could find no such info on the Extigy.

Back