Sound Trouble!

guitargirl7

I am new to the recording world, and so far have been having the worst trouble with sound and recording.

First, let’s start out with the names of the products I have:
1. Avid Vocal Studio: includes Pro Tools SE software and M-Audio Producer USB Microphone
2. Avid Recording Studio: includes Pro Tools SE software and M-Audio Fast Track Audio Interface

Getting to the problem… When I record, I am always right up close to the microphone, singing at the appropriate levels of loudness that the microphone can handle. When I listen back to the track in protools, it is as loud as any other song you would hear on your iTunes library; exactly the way it should be.
My problem is that as soon as I extract my songs out of protools into wav files, and listen to them through my computer, they are as quiet as can be! I have to plug my computer into speakers that have manual volume control to hear the song properly. The sound is probably more than %50 quieter than any other song on my iTunes library. I’m not sure if there’s a hidden volume panel in protools that I don’t know about, if I’m missing a step in the extraction process, or if I’m recording incorrectly, but something’s not right in Denmark. I’m hoping that someone can help me out with this.

Eager to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Thank you!

So you're saying your recordings are quieter than commercial songs?

It's because your recordings are not mastered. Mastering is applied to a recording after the recording/mixing stage. It applies some EQ and compression and raises the overall volume.

Some people here may master your recordings. For a price....

You could do it yourself. By placing a brick wall limiter on the master track. I could do it for you. I'm not a professional though. I would only be raising the volume and nothing else.

So you're saying your recordings are quieter than commercial songs?

It's because your recordings are not mastered. Mastering is applied to a recording after the recording/mixing stage. It applies some EQ and compression and raises the overall volume.

Some people here may master your recordings. For a price....

You could do it yourself. By placing a brick wall limiter on the master track. I could do it for you. I'm not a professional though. I would only be raising the volume and nothing else.

I knew there was more to it than I thought... How exactly would you place a brick wall limiter on the master track by yourself?

In Pro Tools

On the master track. Click on the one of the boxes for inserts. Then go to plug-in. Then Dynamics. Then Compressor/Limiter. Set the threshold slightly below 0db. Set the Ratio up to infinity (or as high as it can go). Turn the gain up to a sufficient volume. Not too loud though. You will be smashing your song and lose your dynamic range. I can explain to you what all this means if you like.

Back