Sound Samples - since this is a big topic recently

XLR

______
Sound samples are good. :)

It's unusual for someone who talks a lot about audio production to not have an example of their work around somewhere to be heard. IMO It's important for a reader to be able to get a reference point on how a writer's words relate to their skills, since they're very different things. Not that you have to sound incredible to have an opinion or give advice, but hearing someone's work lets readers asses whether the writer is talking based on their real-world experience at achieving good sound quality, or whether it's theoretical. Nothing wrong with theoretical. But it's not the same.

Thinking about the various boards... HR, Gearslutz, RP, Studio Forums, Tape Op... I can't think of anyone off hand who's aggressively opinionated who can't be heard somewhere... a website sample, forum posting of an mp3, mix contest entry, or by a credit on a commercial release, movie or video sound, etc. Even rec.audio.pro has their periodic compilation CDs.

I'm unsure of a poster until I hear their work.

Your opinion... ?

Well ... if you're hiring a photographer, do you go by his resume, or do you go by his portfolio of work?

If you were interviewing an applicant, would you rather have someone with an impressive resume and education? Someone who intereviews well? Or do you want someone who can do the job?

When you buy or download music ... do you select the artist who has the best-looking cover art or the coolest name? Or do you go based on the quality of the music?

Reactions: XLR
this is a "grey area' subject.........

although it would be nice to hear sample of other peoples work, just to give credibility.......

but lets remember why we are all here.......to share and offer advise or "tips and tricks" and such about home recording. Now if a newbie came in here and was looking for a simple question on recording audio........and someone with no credibility or reference of his work posted a insert from Bob Katz book as an answer or advise, ........its still an answer, and an opinion. It may not be from the person himself......but he tried to offer some advise that would help this newbie out.

i guess my point is....i dont care if the postings are coming from a person who has no credibility, or from a a person who has references of his work.

ill take any advise with open arms..........and try it out. If it works.....GREAT! if not..........so i tried it out and it wasnt what i was looking for.

"it doesnt hurt to learn from your mistakes"

Reactions: XLR
...if...someone with no credibility or reference of his work posted a insert from Bob Katz book as an answer or advise, ........its still an answer, and an opinion. It may not be from the person himself......but he tried to offer some advise that would help this newbie out.
Agreed... it's a never a bad thing when someone says, "here's a quote from Bob Katz...".

And, sure, anyone can offer info that might end up being helpful. But if I was trying to figure out how get a great heavy guitar sound, I'd sure listen to someone like xfinsterx over someone who's recordings I haven't heard.

I have audio samples in my signature of heavy guitar work recordings.......

if my link (music) was not there, .........would you still take my advise?

.....or would you brush me off as "ehhhh.......this guy dont know what hes talking about"......?

I have audio samples in my signature of heavy guitar work recordings.......

if my link (music) was not there, .........would you still take my advise?

.....or would you brush me off as "ehhhh.......this guy dont know what hes talking about"......?
Brush off? Certainly not, but I'd give added weight to the response of someone who's recordings I respected. If your advice (with no-sound-sample-anywhere-to-be-found-to-reinforce-to-me-that-you-really-know-your-stuff:D) sounded really intelligent I'd pay more attention, but not as much as if I heard your music and it showed you had real skill.

i hear ya.....that makes perfect sense.

Im no recording genius...........but thats why im here too......to learn from others who are in the same boat as me,.... trying to be a good "at home recording enthusiest".

ill take advise from anyone.......but audio clips of past works can validate on "how good you really are".........but then again,......are WE all really that good? i mean, come on......if we were...we wouldnt be hanging out in the "HOME recording forum".......

............we would be hanging out at the "PRO recording forum", or maybe no forum at all, cause we are so busy working/mixing on our next big audio hit for '(enter your favorite bands name here)'.......sitting next to Chris Lord Alge saying " hey man,......can you stop playing with my EQ buttons!?"

.........but then again,......are WE all really that good? i mean, come on......if we were...we wouldnt be hanging out in the "HOME recording forum".......
I've listened to a lot of music by HR members and I think some are very professional in quality of music and production. But it does vary a lot.

also very true........There are some kick ass guys/gals in here who have been here for quite some time, picked up knowledge and tips from others...and have really grown in skills.......and become great audio "home" recording people.

.......another reason why im here.......is cause there are some cool cats, and good people here.......people who really try to help others........

....and we shouldnt bash them, just because they have no audio samples to back up their theories and advise.

just be thankful they are here positively trying to help us and others that venture in here in this board............

8 Reasons Why Mp3 Samples Aren't As Cracked Up As Some Make Them Out To Be

I have no problem with people posting their work, but I find it both far from necessary, completly unrelaible, often subjective and unrelaible, and irrelevant to the content of a post. There are very few people here whose work I've heard at all, but I can tell after just a few posts if that person knows what they are talking about or not or if they are a person of integrity or not.

8 REASONS WHY I JUST DON'T BOTHER LISTENING TO SAMPLES:

1. If a post describes and explains it's point well enough, it shouldn't matter who it comes from, whether it's from Sir George Martin or from Joe Punchclock. It either will make sense or it won't. All posts are also subject to immediate peer review. As those who have been here long enough know well, if you say something absolutely goofy or even just make a small inadvertant error, it will be pounced upon and corrected soon enough. Whether or not one or all people in the thread have posted any MP3s or not is completly irrelevant to the process.

2. We are sharing advice here, not music. When we go to buy a camera or ask how to use it, do we ask the guy at Lion Photo if we can see his portfolio first? When we ask our neighbors or our photo club members for any general advice on photography, do we ask to see their portfolios first? Of course not. We get their advice and we weigh it out with our own brains.

3. Being a good or a bad engineer is not a reliable indicator of being a good or a bad explainer or teacher. Mike Ditka was a good football player and coach, but he is questionable at best as a TV/Radio commentator. He has admitted himself that he'd be even worse in front of an Internet keyboard. On the other hand, very few football players and even coaches can analyze and explain football clock management and scoring options better than Al Michaels, even though the closest he ever got to being a pro football player was doing locker room interviews.

4. When did Isaac Asimov ever make it into space? Or Steven Speilberg act in a movie? There is nothing that says that one has to prove their body of work in order to be able to teach it, write about it or even direct it. If one does actually do it, all the better, of course. But actually seeing Asimov in space or seeing Spielberg play Hamlet is not a prerequesite to them going a good job or giving good advice.

5. Linking to one's work is only reliable when there is reliable provenance/attribution to indicate just what any one person contributed to the recording. I've seen plenty of indie people take engineering credit for, and play MP3s of, projects where they did little more than get coffee and wind mic cables.

Also, though not as bad as that, I've seen (and had as a mix guy myself) projects where the artists, tracking engineer and prodcuer did such a great job that vitually all the mix engineer had to do was bring up the faders at the beginning and fade the buss at the end. Does that make the mix engineer a great engineer? Maybe, maybe not. It actually means nothing other than the mix engineer, by using that as an example of his work, is getting much more credit that he perhaps deserves for that work.

6. "Peer" review on an Internet board is very often often biased. There have been at least two times that I have seen recently where someone posted MP3s for review to make just this point. One was from this thread, where someone posted their CD for review. He got a long, detailed reply from someone who summarized with this statement:
"I don't know if you were wanting me to compare it to typical pro engineer's recording or not. I think it sounds like a very good recording done on modest equipment, but I don't think it compares to the big guys."
After which which the OP replied:
"Well, that kind of proves my point. Andy Wallace produced and engineered it at Rumbo in Canoga Park."
They were completly inaccurate off base in their analysis.

There was another even better example from someone in the Pacific Northwest I think (I can't find it now, maybe the person who did it will recognize this and come forward), who posted a metal track for critique. The critiquer completly trashed the recording as sounding amateurish and awful bad for this and that reason. After that the OP revealed that the track was commercial material done in a world-class studio by Grammy-level performers and engineers, and not his own work at all. That proves two things; that someone else's opinions of one's work are pretty irrelevant inless it's a complete newb asking about obvious mistakes, and that it is easy for anyone here to be able to slip pro work by as their own.

In fact, there are those on this board who set the trap of trying to get someone to post their work just so they can sound authorative in trashing it regardless of how it actually sounds, because they know that a) auch analysies are purely subjective, and b) that they will be able to dazzle the newbs here with their bullshit.

7. When someone comes on without the ear, knowledge or experience to tell if their own tracks sound good, who are they to judge if your tracks sound good? Someone who thinks that mo' louder is mo' better, or who can't hear clipping (or thinks clipping sounds good) is going to think that a flat pancake that clips more than an east side barber sounds good. Does that make it so?

8. The main reason why most people link to their their work on this board is share/compare in an effort to improve. The majority, IME, say something alongthe lines of "my stuff is not all that great, I admit, but it'll get better being here." Not exactly stuff to use as a reference for authority, nor do they try to. And I think that's just fine.

OTOH, those that link their stuff for other reasons are doing it either to advertise/sell their band or their engineering, or for ego stroking. Are those that are here to sell their stuff or to stroke their egos people who are going to, on balance, give unbiased advice? Maybe some do, but it's certainly not something I'd base any quality judgement on, there are often ulterior motives afoot.

SUMMARY.
Give me any day of the week someone who knows their stuff pretty well, enjoys sharing it without belittling people in the process, and has the wits to share it in uncomprimising detail without feeling the ego hunger to need to brag about their own work all the time. You can keep your someone who brags about their shit and spends more energy lording it and their MP3s over others than they do actually constructively sharing real information. Having an MP3 or 100MP3s to "back up their word" is unrealiabe at best, and virtually meaningless at worst, for all the reasons given above. Giving the best advice on average is all that really counts in these forums.

Bottom line, people: Use your heads. Read, listen, absorb, consider, and *think* about thre responses you get. Do most people agree with it or is it controversial? Does the explanation make sense, or is there no explanation other than "I have MP3s, believe me." Either way, the way to know for sure is to try it out, not to blindly believe it based upon whether or not they have some MP3s to show you. You'll quickly find out who is worth talking to and who isn't.

G.

Last edited:
DAAAAMMMMNNNNnnnnnnnnnn............

yeah, i think that sums it up pretty well. I would consider this a done thread.;)

DAAAAMMMMNNNNnnnnnnnnnn............

yeah, i think that sums it up pretty well. I would consider this a done thread.;)
It's certainly become a longer thread. This thread is a series of opinions, not a true/false question to be "summed up" by anyone.

OK.........i just meant that that was a good post from Glen......and i probably wont post any further in this topic/thread...........

unless someone can open up the topic even more, and rebuttle that post, i may stick around for further debates.........

....damn this is getting good..........

:D

unless someone can open up the topic even more, and rebuttle that post,
Probably too wordy and "contractual" looking for anyone to do a detailed rebuttal. Asimov... Hamlet... OK, maybe later.

Last edited:
i guess it could sound good.......clipping...........

i heard the new "TOOL" album a few months back, and one song they had...the guitar solo Purposly was in digital clipping.......it was loud, crackely, and nasty sounding......

....but they played it off fairly good........

i guess clipping can sound good,......... if manipulated properly.......

.....un-wanted noticeable clipping can sound bad, if it was not intended.

I have no problem with people posting their work, but I find it both far from necessary, completly unrelaible, often subjective and unrelaible, and irrelevant to the content of a post. There are very few people here whose work I've heard at all, but I can tell after just a few posts if that person knows what they are talking about or not or if they are a person of integrity or not.

8 REASONS WHY I JUST DON'T BOTHER LISTENING TO SAMPLES:

1. If a post describes and explains it's point well enough, it shouldn't matter who it comes from, whether it's from Sir George Martin or from Joe Punchclock. It either will make sense or it won't. All posts are also subject to immediate peer review. As those who have been here long enough know well, if you say something absolutely goofy or even just make a small inadvertant error, it will be pounced upon and corrected soon enough. Whether or not one or all people in the thread have posted any MP3s or not is completly irrelevant to the process.

2. We are sharing advice here, not music. When we go to buy a camera or ask how to use it, do we ask the guy at Lion Photo if we can see his portfolio first? When we ask our neighbors or our photo club members for any general advice on photography, do we ask to see their portfolios first? Of course not. We get their advice and we weigh it out with our own brains.

3. Being a good or a bad engineer is not a reliable indicator of being a good or a bad explainer or teacher. Mike Ditka was a good football player and coach, but he is questionable at best as a TV/Radio commentator. He has admitted himself that he'd be even worse in front of an Internet keyboard. On the other hand, very few football players and even coaches can analyze and explain football clock management and scoring options better than Al Michaels, even though the closest he ever got to being a pro football player was doing locker room interviews.

4. When did Isaac Asimov ever make it into space? Or Steven Speilberg act in a movie? There is nothing that says that one has to prove their body of work in order to be able to teach it, write about it or even direct it. If one does actually do it, all the better, of course. But actually seeing Asimov in space or seeing Spielberg play Hamlet is not a prerequesite to them going a good job or giving good advice.

5. Linking to one's work is only reliable when there is reliable provenance/attribution to indicate just what any one person contributed to the recording. I've seen plenty of indie people take engineering credit for, and play MP3s of, projects where they did little more than get coffee and wind mic cables.

Also, though not as bad as that, I've seen (and had as a mix guy myself) projects where the artists, tracking engineer and prodcuer did such a great job that vitually all the mix engineer had to do was bring up the faders at the beginning and fade the buss at the end. Does that make the mix engineer a great engineer? Maybe, maybe not. It actually means nothing other than the mix engineer, by using that as an example of his work, is getting much more credit that he perhaps deserves for that work.

6. "Peer" review on an Internet board is very often often biased. There have been at least two times that I have seen recently where someone posted MP3s for review to make just this point. One was from this thread, where someone posted their CD for review. He got a long, detailed reply from someone who summarized with this statement:After which which the OP replied: They were completly inaccurate off base in their analysis.

There was another even better example from someone in the Pacific Northwest I think (I can't find it now, maybe the person who did it will recognize this and come forward), who posted a metal track for critique. The critiquer completly trashed the recording as sounding amateurish and awful bad for this and that reason. After that the OP revealed that the track was commercial material done in a world-class studio by Grammy-level performers and engineers, and not his own work at all. That proves two things; that someone else's opinions of one's work are pretty irrelevant inless it's a complete newb asking about obvious mistakes, and that it is easy for anyone here to be able to slip pro work by as their own.

In fact, there are those on this board who set the trap of trying to get someone to post their work just so they can sound authorative in trashing it regardless of how it actually sounds, because they know that a) auch analysies are purely subjective, and b) that they will be able to dazzle the newbs here with their bullshit.

7. When someone comes on without the ear, knowledge or experience to tell if their own tracks sound good, who are they to judge if your tracks sound good? Someone who thinks that mo' louder is mo' better, or who can't hear clipping (or thinks clipping sounds good) is going to think that a flat pancake that clips more than an east side barber sounds good. Does that make it so?

8. The main reason why most people link to their their work on this board is share/compare in an effort to improve. The majority, IME, say something alongthe lines of "my stuff is not all that great, I admit, but it'll get better being here." Not exactly stuff to use as a reference for authority, nor do they try to. And I think that's just fine.

OTOH, those that link their stuff for other reasons are doing it either to advertise/sell their band or their engineering, or for ego stroking. Are those that are here to sell their stuff or to stroke their egos people who are going to, on balance, give unbiased advice? Maybe some do, but it's certainly not something I'd base any quality judgement on, there are often ulterior motives afoot.

SUMMARY.
Give me any day of the week someone who knows their stuff pretty well, enjoys sharing it without belittling people in the process, and has the wits to share it in uncomprimising detail without feeling the ego hunger to need to brag about their own work all the time. You can keep your someone who brags about their shit and spends more energy lording it and their MP3s over others than they do actually constructively sharing real information. Having an MP3 or 100MP3s to "back up their word" is unrealiabe at best, and virtually meaningless at worst, for all the reasons given above. Giving the best advice on average is all that really counts in these forums.

Bottom line, people: Use your heads. Read, listen, absorb, consider, and *think* about thre responses you get. Do most people agree with it or is it controversial? Does the explanation make sense, or is there no explanation other than "I have MP3s, believe me." Either way, the way to know for sure is to try it out, not to blindly believe it based upon whether or not they have some MP3s to show you. You'll quickly find out who is worth talking to and who isn't.

G.
Sorry, I'll respond maybe tomorrow. My date's waiting.

If you have confidence in your work ... then what should it matter if some anonymous guy on the internet trashes it and things it's "amateur" or garbage or whatever? That shouldn't be a reason not to post your work. Imagine if Shawn Penn decided that acting was no longer worthwhile, because some guy in the back row of the theater might think his acting was bad? Or if Einstein had decided not to publish his works, because someone might disprove one of his theories a century or so later?

A person's work can serve to reinforce their words, and give them much more weight. Using the Mike Ditka example : When Ditka became a football coach, do you think the fact that he was a hall of fame Tight End ... may have given his words a little more bite with his players? Imagine you're one of his players. If this guy is trying to teach you blocking technique, don't you think you'll be more inclined to listen to him, given the fact that you can't turn on NFL highlight films on a Sunday morning without seeing old footage of this guy pulverizing an opposing linebacker?

Another important thing to consider is that ... some people might not be the best communicators in the world, and may not get a lot of style points for the way they say things. But you experience their work first-hand, and it's awesome.

There's a guy who posts pretty regularly on the Tapeop board, and for the longest time, I just kind of skimmed over his posts, because they didn't really seem to stand out to me in any way. He was just another poster. One time, for some inexplicable reason, I just decided to listen to his examples ... and I was quite frankly stunned. It was some of the best work I had heard, professional or amateur.

For the next several weeks, I would make it a point to go back and read several of his old posts, on almost a daily basis. As it turned out, the guy had been giving out great advice for years -- there just wasn't anything about his soft-spoken method of writing to make him stand out in a rather busy message board (anyone who's visited Tapeop probably knows what I mean).

Back