Sound quality - clicking

mandrum

Are there any people out there who understand a bit about how to get rid of clicking/static sounds or setting up p.c. to make sure clicking does not exist.
At the moment the clicking happens,

a. When I startup and windows plays it's little 4 note start up tune, much clicking goes on here( also when powering down).
b. When I record from c.d. to the computer. On playing back an m.p.3. file for the first time. If I stop and start the mp3 it seems to disappear somewhat.
c. When I record two or more tracks using presonus and my triton tr61 keyboard I get a kind of scratchy click at the start of playback.

Now, I have all the drivers, basics, machine set for background performance,
the computer is a intel 9550 quad core, the mainboard is a gigabyte EP45 DS3 with intel p45 express chipset and texas i firewire.

Also..The presonus works with less clicking on my old computer, and if I plug headphones into the new compters headphone socket instead of the presonus headphone socket there is no clicking, all the latest drivers are installed for windows, gigabyte cubase and presonus. So the sound issues are only happening when presonus is connected to the new computer through the main boards texas instruments chipset.

I have also set the fp10 as default for both sound playback and recording as well as midi playback. I have also tried various latency settings including high and low. The problems remain. Oh I also have asus 256mb nvidea Geforce 8400 GS silent pci graphics card and no external memory. It just sounds like components are reacting to each other or something like that or there are settings that I can change or worse still the mainboard or its firewire are damaged though i have been told by the computer company and presonus and stienberg there are no problems or further settings changes they can make. Stienberg say check with presonus, presonus say it's not the presonus obviously because it works fine with your old system, and the computer manufactuter says if the firewire is working with your equipment and the sound is fine from the computers headphone socket then it can't be the computer. Please help as I am loosing hair over this!!!

Are there any people out there who understand a bit about how to get rid of clicking/static sounds or setting up p.c. to make sure clicking does not exist.
At the moment the clicking happens,

a. When I startup and windows plays it's little 4 note start up tune, much clicking goes on here( also when powering down).
b. When I record from c.d. to the computer. On playing back an m.p.3. file for the first time. If I stop and start the mp3 it seems to disappear somewhat.
c. When I record two or more tracks using presonus and my triton tr61 keyboard I get a kind of scratchy click at the start of playback.

Now, I have all the drivers, basics, machine set for background performance,
the computer is a intel 9550 quad core, the mainboard is a gigabyte EP45 DS3 with intel p45 express chipset and texas i firewire.

Also..The presonus works with less clicking on my old computer, and if I plug headphones into the new compters headphone socket instead of the presonus headphone socket there is no clicking, all the latest drivers are installed for windows, gigabyte cubase and presonus. So the sound issues are only happening when presonus is connected to the new computer through the main boards texas instruments chipset.

I have also set the fp10 as default for both sound playback and recording as well as midi playback. I have also tried various latency settings including high and low. The problems remain. Oh I also have asus 256mb nvidea Geforce 8400 GS silent pci graphics card and no external memory. It just sounds like components are reacting to each other or something like that or there are settings that I can change or worse still the mainboard or its firewire are damaged though i have been told by the computer company and presonus and stienberg there are no problems or further settings changes they can make. Stienberg say check with presonus, presonus say it's not the presonus obviously because it works fine with your old system, and the computer manufactuter says if the firewire is working with your equipment and the sound is fine from the computers headphone socket then it can't be the computer. Please help as I am loosing hair over this!!!

You mentioned latency already, did you also check the buffer settings? Are you able to monitor the individual cores to see if any are maxing out on resources. If it's happening with the windows start wav file, then it's definitely not related to Cubase. If it doesn't happen through the computer sound card, then it's with the firepod only. Probably the drivers. Do you have any resource hogs?? Virus? Anti-virus? How many drives do you have? TI is supposed to be the desireable chipset for firewire, but maybe there's a problem with this particular one. Can you pull the firewire card from your old computer and try it? Reload drivers. Try another firewire port. Do sanity checks.

Sorry, don't have much to offer.

Good luck.

Thanks chilli for your quick response, I will see if there is a way of viewing how the processors are working, that sound a great idea. The firewire, yeah ive downloaded the last drivers for it and the blue light syncs, could it be a thing to do with the graphics card?

Thanks chilli for your quick response, I will see if there is a way of viewing how the processors are working, that sound a great idea. The firewire, yeah ive downloaded the last drivers for it and the blue light syncs, could it be a thing to do with the graphics card?

I seriously doubt it's your graphics cards. I think the most probable is cause would be:

Presonus Driver doesn't support quadcore
Presonus driver is corrupted and just need to reload it
Firewire driver not compatible with Presonus, try another card in a PCI slot.
Buffer settings too low. But I think they set themselves automatically :confused: :confused: don't quote me on that...

It's a lazy day after thanksgiving, I've got nothing else to do.... :D

Cheers,

Back