Sound quality: Behringer vs any other mixer (need advice)

Gunther

Hey guys,

I am using a Behringer 802a mixer right now. I will upgrade soon, when I buy a new sound card (in like a year.) but it suits all my mixing needs for the moment, it does the job.

The thing is, I have a pretty nice mic signal chain which I invested a lot of money in (a lot by my standards anyway). I also just ordered a decent set of monitors (Yorkville YMSip, cant wait till I get 'em)… so my question is, considering that the rest of my gear is relatively decent, is my Behringer hurting the sound I get?

Can someone with an educated opinion tell me if there is a real difference between listening with a Behri when compared with another mixer (like a Mackie?) Does the behri color the sound, create phase problems, add noise or f**k the sound up some other way?
I really want to hear from people who have done A/B comparisons or have owned a behri then got something better. (Although I am sure a few people will chime in with Behringer sux! even if they did not compare.)

Oh, I don’t care about the pre’s and EQs, I know they suck and I don’t use them. I just use the board for mixing.

thx in advance

It's a pretty safe bet you will notice a dramatic difference with improved stereo imaging, clarity, lower noise floor and more headroom before distortion.

Yes, The MX802a colors and degrades the sound a bit. I had my monitors connected to the MX802a for a while to get balanced outputs (my VS1680 has only unbalanced outputs). But then I bought a good tripple shielded unbalanced (RCA) cable to connect the monitors directly to the VS instead. Quite a big difference. Apart from degrading the detail, the mixer also boosted the bass a bit and panned everything a bit to the right.

/Anders

Btw, I did a listening (blind) test once where I came to the conclusion that a Minidisk degrades the sound more than the Behringer MX mixer. Just as a comparision.

/Anders

Back