Sound proofing

Interesting. So, I have a garage door that has open slats on the inside, if I stuffed that end with rock wool, would that be a good START to soundproofing the garage? I read somewhere that rock wool can be hazardous to breathe, would it be necessary to enclose it so bits of it don't get into the air? (one of the guys I do a lot of recording with has asthma) If I have to build a room within a room, I'll have to, but I'd hate to lose functional space, plus, I've kind of gotten to like opening the garage door to fire up the BBQ when taking a break.

You don't want to leave uncovered rockwool panels around, it doesn't spread fibers out like fiberglass (pink stuff), but covering it wiht a porous cloth (burlap, cotton sheeting) is best.

You don't want to leave uncovered rockwool panels around, it doesn't spread fibers out like fiberglass (pink stuff), but covering it wiht a porous cloth (burlap, cotton sheeting) is best.

ok perfect, I've got a pretty good plan then. First thing is to line the door with rockwool and cloth I liked the idea someone had about doing some sort of movable thing on the window, too. I'd like to let natural light in when I want but that thing is almost as leaky as the garage door. Luckily, the walls of the garage are enclosed and well insulated like a normal room, so it's not too much space I have to cover.

Back