Sound proofing for vocals

darkagent71

Alright here's my problem. I built my computer so it would be very excellent at gaming and recording. The only thing I failed to realize is my fans will be easily picked up by my condenser mics. Is there a way to either sound proof my computer so i can record without picking it up or a way to sound proof a section of the room and record in that section

Darkagent,

There are a number of things you can do. Move the mic as far away from the computer as you can. Put a baffle between your mic and the computer, something like the Project Studio Reflexion Filter, some of the "portable vocal booths out there, or even a mattress or anything to absorb the computer noise. Cover the computer with a comforter when tracking (BE CAREFUL not to let your computer overheat). Try some combination of all of these and you're bound to improve the situation.

Good luck!

Ken

Yeah, A PC built for gaming is gonna be less than idea for quiet recording. Have you looked into fan controllers? They can be had from newegg for as little as $10.

Yeah, A PC built for gaming is gonna be less than idea for quiet recording. Have you looked into fan controllers? They can be had from newegg for as little as $10.

Fan controllers are built into my case. But I cant turn them Off i can only go low med or high. On low theyre still noticeable. The only thing that confuses me is that you cant hear them in linux much at all. Only in windows

Darkagent,

There are a number of things you can do. Move the mic as far away from the computer as you can. Put a baffle between your mic and the computer, something like the Project Studio Reflexion Filter, some of the "portable vocal booths out there, or even a mattress or anything to absorb the computer noise. Cover the computer with a comforter when tracking (BE CAREFUL not to let your computer overheat). Try some combination of all of these and you're bound to improve the situation.

Good luck!

Ken

Can a build my own sound booth from some huge cardboard and foam?

Can a build my own sound booth from some huge cardboard and foam?

You could, i suppose.
But I vote for enclosing your computer somehow rather than changing where you record your vocals and risk messing up the "sweet spot"... although since computer noise is getting i guess its not the sweet spot :p

blankets do wonders btw

You could, i suppose.
But I vote for enclosing your computer somehow rather than changing where you record your vocals and risk messing up the "sweet spot"... although since computer noise is getting i guess its not the sweet spot :p

blankets do wonders btw

Thanks I've tried blankets but its a no go. I just made a small foam surrounding for my mic so it is boxed in. It sounds ok now but I may work on making something like you suggested that will go around my computer so I dont have sound coming out rather than blocking out the sound that is coming out

Last edited:
You should stop your computer noise getting to the mic, rather than isolating your mic/voice from the computer...

A mic baffle should do the trick. It should not really be noticeable when you are actually singing - maybe you just need to add a noise gate...

You should stop your computer noise getting to the mic, rather than isolating your mic/voice from the computer...

Yeah. What i need to do is get an xlr cable instead of using this usb mic and get a longer cable (usb mic has higher latency for same distance) and move it to the other side of the room. Maybe add some sound proofing in between the mic and the computer (halfway through the room)

Yeah. What i need to do is get an xlr cable instead of using this usb mic and get a longer cable (usb mic has higher latency for same distance) and move it to the other side of the room. Maybe add some sound proofing in between the mic and the computer (halfway through the room)

OHHHH Its a USB mic...

well that explains it :laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

Use larger fans in your gaming case, or upgrade to passive or water cooling. Also, please don't tell me you are using a gaming soundcard for recording.

In the meantime, just place your mic so that the computer is in the null pattern of the condenser - I'm guessing it is a cardioid and not an omni or figure 8.

Do USB mics use the internal sound card? or do they act as a sound card like a mini interface - they aren't using the mic line in so I assumed they bypassed the soundcard :confused::confused::confused:

Use larger fans in your gaming case, or upgrade to passive or water cooling. Also, please don't tell me you are using a gaming soundcard for recording.

In the meantime, just place your mic so that the computer is in the null pattern of the condenser - I'm guessing it is a cardioid and not an omni or figure 8.

M-audio audiophile 2496. Not gaming sound card. 2nd cardiod (at2020) but even with it away from it still picks up.

Do USB mics use the internal sound card? or do they act as a sound card like a mini interface - they aren't using the mic line in so I assumed they bypassed the soundcard :confused::confused::confused:

They bypass the sound card. So this is not my problem. Yes the usb mic is not ideal and that is why i will upgrade asap but i bought it for my gf who does not have an interface so we can both use it and not just me using xlr

If it's a proximity issue perhaps a USB extension cable would solve your problem. Is your PC at the same height as the mic? if not move it to the floor. I wouldn't seal it in a box unless you want your CPU to melt. But a sound baffle between the mic and the PC should do the trick.

The easiest solution to this is often to simply purchase KVM extension cables and move the computer processor father away--into a closet, different room or whatever.

Bob

Back