Sound Proofing do's and don't!

BDiNkY30

I have a large carpeted room with a few angled walls. The ceilings are 8ft and i'd say that the room is (off hand I'm away at college) 25x15 give or take a foot or two. I'm looking into sound treating the walls for a mixing environment. Where do i start?

I have a large carpeted room with a few angled walls. The ceilings are 8ft and i'd say that the room is (off hand I'm away at college) 25x15 give or take a foot or two. I'm looking into sound treating the walls for a mixing environment. Where do i start?
Could you give us a plan of the room? Where the angled walls are, etc.

Just to save some time and not have 25 people tell you the same thing, you're not talking about sound "proofing". That's a whole different thing. You're talking about room "treatment".

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the carpeting if possible.

Just to save some time and not have 25 people tell you the same thing, you're not talking about sound "proofing". That's a whole different thing. You're talking about room "treatment".

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the carpeting if possible.

I have heard that alot, why would you want to get rid of the carpeting? I dont completly understand this, but I am all ears educate me Rami.

Room Acoustics

Carpet has an absorption peak around 3kHz average & only tends to make the room response lopsided. For balanced acoustics treat first with bass traps, then absorption to bring the decay down to optimal for the use of the room. Manage flutter with angled panels, polys, diffusors, or absorption panels.
Rule: never let untreated surfaces face each other.

A hardwood floor is the accepted 'best' due to the fact that we evolved hearing sounds reflecting off the floor surface... many instruments 'require' the hard surface of the floor to 'sound' right. ;)

Check out my publications and also the articles on the GIK site and Realtraps site.

Cheers,
John

Back