Sound problems on new DAW

Scotsman

I have a Terratec EWX 2496 soundcard and am using WinXP Pro. I plugged in a pair of Cambridge Soundworks satellite speakers directly to the phono output sockets of the soundcard but got no sound.

On my old system, I used these speakers as part of the Cambridge DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 set up. This comes with a 'big black box' which plugs into the mains and has three jack sockets to carry the signal to the three jack sockets on my Soundblaster Live! soundcard. It also has the phono sockets into which plug the speakers. That got me thinking that the speakers needed power in order to work.

So, I thought I'd bring my MindPrint Di-Port into play. This takes a digital signal directly out of the Terratec soundcard and converts it to analogue. It has monitor outs and is powered, so I thought plugging the speakers into there would work. It didn't. If I turned the volume right up in the soundcard control panel, I could hear the test mp3 I was using faintly and I could also hear the singal if I plugged headphones into the Di-Port.

Looking at the Sounds and Audio Devices applet in the Windows Control Panel, the Volume tab says No Audio Device and all the options are greyed out.

In the Audio tab, I can change the Sound playback to Terratec S/PDIF or Terratec analogue, neither of which seems to make a difference.

All drivers for the soundcard are present and correct.

It feels like I'm missing something simple but I just can't figure it out. Am I in fact barking up the wrong tree in thinking that I can use these speakers without the 'big black box'?

Thanks
Cams

I just physically removed the Terratec soundcard but not its drivers. Upon rebooting, the onboard audio became available once again and all the previously greyed-out options in the Control Panel's Sound and Audio Devices were available.

I then reseated the soundcard into a different PCI slot and had the same results as before: no onboard audio.

Does this mean that I cannot have onboard audio AND the soundcard at the same time? That seems a bit strange to me and would not be good news as I need both. Otherwise I'm looking at a new multimedia soundcard :(

Back