Sound Module in your Computer?

hybridsound

I'm really not sure how to ask this... (forgive me if its a really stupid question)

Is there some kind of software you can install on your computer that acts like a keyboard/workststion/synth that you can control with an external MIDI keyboard? I hope that makes sense.

Is there any way I could try one before I go out and buy it? I don't want to buy something that I'm not going to like.

hybridsound said:
Is there any way I could try one before I go out and buy it? I don't want to buy something that I'm not going to like.

Some of them, I would recommend checking out the reviews at www.kvraudio.com and then download the demos, shareware or freeware that you think you'd like. There's not so many softsynths that comes in standalone versions, most are what's called VSTi's - in those cases you have to use some kind of host. The good news is that there are some free ones.

My personal favorite VSTi is Sonik Synth 2: http://www.soniksynth.com/ there's a small free version available - the commercial one is huge.

There were a free version of "Dash Eve" with the latest edition of Computer Music (also included is CM usual softsynth stuff of course - not a bad place). Seems VERY nice so far - especially with the downloadable additional libs.

hybridsound said:

I think Native Instruments have demos. Their softsynths are both VST and standalone.

Soundblaster Live and Audigy series, have built-in EMU synth Chip
Can play GM or GS midi samples using Soundfonts (2MB, 4MB or 8MB)
No additional software and hardware needed.

O.K. for the "don't want to spend extra" home musician. Gives you some midi sound capabilites.
If you're serious, then see previous posts above re: softsynths.

Soft Synth

Another plugin type synth that I like (although I don't know much) is called the Synth 1... Its a Japaneese creation that is free...I love it... You can easily get through the installation and the screens are definitely intuitative enough to use... Make sure that you download the extra soundbank...Once you open it and look through the soundbanks go to numbers 4-9 for the extra ones...Then there are a couple hundred spaces you can use for your own tweaks which you can name accordingly... I like it better than alot of other things I've seen....

sonik synth

I definitely recommend sonik synth 2 as well. No, I don't work for them. I'm just super excited about that I was able to get rid of a lot of my hardware synths and replaced them with just 1 super plug-in @ thousands less. This thing is the bomb!!!

Back