Sound module for Yamaha KX88?

pundit

I recently purchased a Yamaha KX88 controller keyboard.

While it will predominantly used in the studio with Gigastudio, I was considering in getting some kind of a sound module to use with it so I'm not always tied to a computer.

I'm not exactly a keyboard player (I'm a guitarist) but it was time to get some keys for my studio and to me, it feels more like a piano than most other keyboards I've played.

It cost me $750 Australian.. about $400 US.

I'm looking for a module with excellent piano sounds as a number one priority... then strings, rhodes, wurlitzers, hammonds etc.

Are there any hardware sampler/modules that can store Giga style samples that don't cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance. ;)

BTW... What's the verdict on General Music's Real Piano Expander Module? I believe it's essentially a PRO1 in a half rack unit.

Real Piano Expander

Last edited:
KX's were very cool - and you got a great price!:) Repairs on mine are going to be about $550!:(

Your best bet with a KX and a hardware module is to get a Yamaha module of some kind. This is because the KX's byte-level command set allows for all kinds of Yamaha sysex controls to be set up, but only 2 total sysex controls (per preset) for any other manufacturer.

My Yam modules are all ancient, and I wouldn't recommend any of THEM. But one of their newer pieces might be a good fit.

Happy hunting.

Back