Sound isolation construction material.

that soundstop fiberboard looks pretty good, esp with an stc of 42...

i did just see another new product the other day, it was super thin and looked pretty sweet comes in 4' wide rolls -pretty expensive though... ill see if i can find the website or name

cool, I work for a residential/commercial construction company in Dallas and I'm beginning to study professional recording studio construction materials and techniques so as to offer this specialty.

Dogfood, that's awesome.

When I get my house in the next few months, can I hire you as a consultant to help me with my home studio? (assuming I can afford your services of course)

MrBoogie

I am ethical. If I am a dunce at that time I will be honest about it. If, however, I have learned a respectable amount of knowedge and am qualified to give good advice...I will do it happily, even gleefully.

DogFood said:
You put this stuff under your drywall during construction for sound deadening.

www.aknightcompany.com/productline/soundstop/ss_overview.asp

is there a better product out there for this purpose?

Sure is - it's called drywall.

The problem with this material is that it has mo mass in comparison.

1st off - don't be impressed with an stc rating of 42, that wouldn't pass code for even between hotel rooms, and you aren't concerned with anything even remotely coming close to studio frequencies when you see an STC rating.

STC is essentially a ratiing that was designed to keep people from hearing you when you have a conversation next door to them - and therefor only deals with the frequency range of the human voice.

When it comes to pro studios and you begin talking frequency ranges as low as 10Hz - it takes the right amount of stiffness and mass to attain anything even close to what you need.

This is not a bad place to learn about building a home studio - but if you plan of getting into this professionally - you are going to need a lot more than what's offered here in the sense of the concepts behind acoustic isolation in a pro sense.

Visit

http//forums.studiotips.com

if you really want to learn enough of the theory to be able to make an intelligent descision on behalf of a client. Understand though - if you really want to learn - as opposed to making believe you know - you have one heck of a long road ahead of you. This is one of the most involved engineering areas there is - and the biggest challenge is that just become something seems to be intuitively obvious does not necessarily mean that it works. Sometimes it's just the opposite in fact.

BTW - I know this to be the case because I am in the field - have built, designed, and been team leader for the design teams for world class recording and movie studios. Tain't nothing easy about this one.

Sincerely,

Rod

maybe involved and a long road, but it interests the bejeezus outa me and it beats selling fences. Also, I appreciate any books, sites, construction materials company info. I am a sponge. software for proper room treatment. etc. But, very seriously, I refuse to do it half assed.

cool web page, thanks. and feel free to brag about your creations. I'd welcome the knowledge.

This stuff, and its sister product Homasote, essentially act to help decouple the leaves from the framing, although they do not quite do it as well as RC.

You may want to do more research.

BTW the STC is always of a completely assembled wall, not of a single material.

Here are some typical assemblies.

http://www.stcratings.com/assemblies.html

Your plain old stud wall with batt insulation gets you 39, so 42 is not so great for the expense of the celotex.

Back