Sound Isolation Boxes and Booths in an Apartment?

Modus

Zaireeka!
I'm moving into an apartment setting here in a few months and I'm trying to work around the noise issue.
I will basically be recording everything (bass, electric and acoustic guitar, and vocals) in my apartment, I'll be tracking drums at a friends.
So I was thinking about getting a vocal booth for vocals and maybe acoustic guitar or whatever (basically anything thats not going to sound good in a crappy room) and maybe a Randall sound isolation box for electric and one for bass as well.

my question is; how well is a vocal booth going to work in an apartment?
I know they cut out noise from outside but will they cut down noise going out?
I was wondering the same about the Randall isolation cabnets, Am I going to wake the neighbors if I crank this thing up?

I'm kind of in a tough spot as far as living situations and recording. anybody who has any sort of tips on recording in an apartment setting, please let me know how you are doing it.
Any help would be really apreciated

Here are few of the vocal booths i was looking at.
I'm also considering making one but i just want to know if these things work or not.
soundsuckers
Whisperroom

And for the electric quitars, randall isolation cabnets
randall

Modus

This is kind of a tough one - I personally live on just under 10 acres, about 90 miles south of you, but I still have sound-related problems (neighbors who aren't as smart as their dogs, so therefore can't teach the dogs not to bark incessantly at nothing, neighbor on the other side with an obsessive-compulsive disorder involving lawn mowers, etc)

Basically, anything that keeps sound IN will also keep it OUT. Sound proofing is a 2-way street. The ONLY way to keep sound contained is with MASS and air-tight seals - so anything that works very well is going to be heavy and well-made.

I haven't had any experience with the guitar boxes you mentioned, but I was checking on pricing for the Whisperroom booths and came away in shock. In an apartment, unless it's a high dollar high isolation complex, you would most likely need the double-wall version of a Whisperroom, which runs about $6000 for a size you could actually get into with a guitar, including the air circulation package.

If your friend has more room, and either they or you have any building experience/tools, you could pre-fab a booth elsewhere and then bolt it together in your apartment. Each side would be a handful for two healthy guys, but it could be done.

Other than that, it could get pretty expensive... Steve

Hey Tex - 'nuther benny if you did that -

You'd never go hungry, because of all the sand which is there (sandwiches there, if you're asleep)

hehehehehehehehehehehehe....

"neighbor on the other side with an obsessive-compulsive disorder involving lawn mowers"

I'm still cracking up with that one Steve! His cousin lives two houses down from me. How could anyone spend 6 hours at a clip mowing? And then blow a leaf around the property for 3 more hours. What drives these people?! I hate summer.

Dan

Yeah, I'd water his lawn for him with RoundUp, 'cept he'd probably go buy some rototillers, and a power lawn roller, and a 2-cycle gas-powered sprinkler, and... :=)

Back