Sound FX

Editor

I am trying to produce some sound effects for use in TV commercials & programs by using Fruity Loops and its synth plugins (Sim-Synth, 3 X OSC, etc.). Being keyboard-challenged (a guitar player ;-), I haven't had much experience with synths but I at least understand the fundamentals.

Specifically, I need some 'whoosh' sounds ... you know the type ... ON NOW AT BOB'S CHEVROLET! ~whoooosh~ THE BIG AFTER-CHRISTMAS CLEAROUT!!! ~whoooosh~ ... they're used to emphasize flying signage, logos & text.

I know a lot of that is on the net (wav's, samples etc.) but I would like to try producing some on my own. The ones I have found are quite tinny--I need something deeper sounding.

Can anybody tell me how to set up something like this?

Well, I need a few to go along with huge lettering. I'm thinking some would sound like...

~ a 5 ton electromagnet passing from left to right / right to left / infinity to foreground

~ a large block of metal sliding across another sheet of metal.

~ a large object moving through the air

... along those lines

Any chance you could explain the basics of setting up a soft-synth to do these effects?

Electromagnet= Use a bulk tape eraser with a piece if steel separated from the degauser by a paper thin tab of foam. Record as steady sound and use pan contols to make it move. Add reverb to make "big"

Slide a househod iron across a cookie sheet. Add reverb.

Unless object is moving at a speed high enough to make a "whoosh" this might better be done with a musical sting.

Derek Verner said:
Electromagnet= Use a bulk tape eraser with a piece if steel separated from the degauser by a paper thin tab of foam. Record as steady sound and use pan contols to make it move. Add reverb to make "big"

Slide a househod iron across a cookie sheet. Add reverb.

Unless object is moving at a speed high enough to make a "whoosh" this might better be done with a musical sting.

Err, yes... I understand ~those~ basics but what I was hoping for was ...

"I am trying to produce some sound effects for use in TV commercials & programs by using Fruity Loops and its synth plugins (Sim-Synth, 3 X OSC, etc.). Being keyboard-challenged (a guitar player ;-), I haven't had much experience with synths but I at least understand the fundamentals.

Any chance you could explain the basics of setting up a soft-synth to do these effects?"

The 'musical sting' idea is closest, I think, to what I am after but I don't know how to set up a synth to do that.

While I have used a mini-synth and special electronic circuits to produce the kinds of sounds you are looking for, I prefer to create sounds the old fashioned way. I suggest you experiment with your equipment to determine what you can do with it. You can also find many sites with a google search on SOUND EFFECTS that have the kinds of sounds you want, many of which are free.

Back