Sound "dropout"

ditnoj

Howdy.

I'm new to computer recording coming from a standalone.

I'm running a
Sony vaio grt100 laptop, 512 ram, PIVm 2.2ghz
Reason 2.5
MOTU 828mkII

I am getting occassional sound drop outs while I'm working. What I hear through the headphones is a test-like tone around 13k or higher. I notice the 44.1 indicator flashing at drop out time. Reason shows no anomaly. That is the mixer levels are consistant with what I should be but am not hearing.

Anti virus is disabled.

Listening through the headphone jack on the laptop has not shown the same problem.

Reason and 828 configured to SMPTE. The anomaly was there when they weren't configured to SMPTE as well.

I'm using the ASIO driver.

Anybody dealt with something like this? Something else I need to disable?

Thanks in advance!

D out ITNOJ

all about that memory

first things first.....how many programs do you have running? i mean not on your screen at that moment but when you click ctrl+alt+del and you see how many programs that are running....this kills me a bunch. the other is latency....sometimes having the comp run at a low latency will freak it out but i'm willing to bet more programs are running on your comp than you would think. turn everyone that isnt needed off! that includes any Instant messaging services too

and I'm running a 1.7ghz celeron w/ onboard audio and 256mb sdram using sonar.......your system shouldnt have any problems once the other programs are turned off

yup

I had thought abuot that. Is there any site that will give me a basic rundown on what is needed and what not. I would hate to take a shot in the dark and shut off some stuff I need.

There's a lot of programs that the name doesn't give me a clue as to what it does. I guess trial and error away!

Question: when you did get hung up by running programs was the result similar?

thanks

D out ITNOJ

yeap

it did the same thing...the program would just stop or it would studder and then stop first restart your comp and dont go into your music program. then ctrl+alt+del and leave up explorer and systray...this should be basic start....then double click on your music program and give it a go. that should help a bunch

Back