Sound Design for games/films

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey Everyone,

I am a music industry/Audio Engineering student right now and am hoping to eventually with my degree do audio for games or film in some way. I was wondering if anyone does any of that. I am interested in learning sound effects and design and constructing my own sound effects. Does anyone know of any good documentation on this or forums dedicated to sound design? thanks!

hey im also looking for information on this subject.

check out the thread i started, there was some helpful posts from southsideglen about the subject.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=295389

im def no expert...

but a good place to start is too try to get in contact with some one who makes games, no matter how simple or advanced they may be.

i use a program called gamemaker to create games which are simliar to game boy games.
more advanced users are able to create 3d games with this program.

ive been using this program for about a year now so i have made a few small games.

over the last few months ive been trying to compose music for these games. i havent really come up with anything awesomely good yet, but i have managed to start learning how to write music for the mood of a game, where to place it, where to trigger sounds ect.

try recording yourself doing some sounds for games, maybe for a fighting game do a karate "heeeyaaahhh!" or "hyah!"

basically start trying to create the sounds of a video game

you will be creating background sounds, like rain, wind, running on different type of lands and surfaces.

if your going to be working with voice over actors, learning how to best mix voices for that sort of work.

dont know of any forums or other info i can give you, as im looking for it myself.

good luck with the hunt.

Last edited:
oh yeah and that goes for film too.

find some one who makes short films.
or try making your own, if you want to that is.

and compose music for the video.

Back