Sound Card suggestions??

clivus

I track on a Boss BR1600, then convert to wave files and import them to Cubase LE. I have a Soundblaster card in my computer, and also the Lexicon Omega interface. Niether the SB or the Omega cards sound as warm to me as the card in the Boss, but I much prefer mixing on the computer. The guys at Sweetwater like Apogee cards, but I am running a PC, so they said a Presonus was their 2nd choice. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

I use a Lynx Two-C, 6 In 2 Out 192KHz AD/DA PCI Sound Card. I like the converters and functionality and the cost is a bit less.

NEVER mention a $25 gamer SBLive in the same breath as a real recording card.

Actually, a $25 SoundBlaster card has much higher fidelity than many people realize. It is never the weak link in a project studio. I recently measured the frequency response, noise, and distortion of a $25 SoundBlaster X-Fi sound card, and did the same for a Delta 66. Both tested very well indeed! FFT Screen cap results below. More here:

AES Audio Myths Video

--Ethan

sound_card_distortion_corrected.gif

Ethan-thanks for the info once again suggesting that it is probably my technique rather than my gear that needs an upgrade! also note comment below...

Damian-I am converting to wave files and loading them into Cubase LE. Since I posted this originally-I have discovered that the analogue compressor that has been the last stage before going to a stand-alone CD recorder are probably the problem(s). I started doing digital mixdowns in Cubase and then burning CDs from that in the computer and the results are noticeably better.
Thanks for your interest!

dj

I don't think the issue with soundcards is their fidelity. The problem is more their capacity to deal with full duplex recording. I'll happily listen to material through onboard soundcards, but for recording I'll stick to firewire.

Back