sound card suggestions with 8 pres, compare to q10

gitrokr

im going to sell my q10 because i cant get it to work right and ive been working with it for a while now.

i'd like to get something in the same price range and same quality to record onto cubase.

if not all inputs had pres i would go for 2 inputs at least, and i'd buy 3 more preamps. just anything with 8 or 10 ins that i can get for like 500, especially if i have to buy more pres.

heres a list of stuff im checking out:
PreSonus DigiMAX LT 8-Channel Microphone Preamp with Digital Output
LAYLA 24/96 Multitrack Recording System (only 2 pres i think)
Edirol DA-2496 8X8 Audio Recording Interface
Edirol - UA-1000 USB 2.0 Audio Recording I/O

well these are a few if yo ucould help with more please list them

thanks

Note, the Layla has _0_ pres. You need to get a Mona if you want an Echo with pres, and the Mona has 4. The Edirol UA-1000 has 4 and the 2496 has 2.

8 pres is hard to find these days...there's the MOTU 896...

I personally love my Emu 1820, which has 2 pres, and 16 more ins (including an ADAT) if you want to get that digimax. The 1820m is 500. Best purchase I've made, but it's still a fairly new card with new drivers, caveat emptor...

There's also the RME 96xx cards, which have a bunch of ADAT ins and outs for a good price. (I think you can get the 9652 for 550 on 8th street) It just doesn't have any built in analog io, so something like a Behringer ADA8000 might be useful. And RME has always had rocking drivers behind them...

well the mona only has 4 ins, if i got a good deal and could get 2, would i be able to use them together?

the ua-1000 is only 4 pres. how many more inputs does it have on the back, i think its 10 altogether, so 6 more? and i could get pres for those?

how would you compare these with something like the presonus digimax

also lastly, does it matter if the unit is pci, firewire, or usb? does one have less latency than the other? is one the fastest?

thanks for your help

Just get one of these and the Layla, and you're set.

What chipset does your computer have? Echo works great with Via chipsets with AMD chips, and Intel chipsets with Intel chips.

ill check on the chipset

this really caught my eye ST Audio DSP3000, like my q10, 8 pres all that, little more extra features, and the same price!!

what do you think?

polaris-

the layla has no pres, but the st audio does...and it also has an adat in

if i buy the st audio for hte same amount of money, i get 8 pres, andthe get the m-audio another few months down the road, and adat that in..i'll have 16 right?

can this 16 be recorded simultaneous? like if i wanted to do something live?

question:

is ADAT the same as optical in/out?
for example: on the back of the m-audio octane, theres a black connection that says adat out, and on the layla this connection says optical on/out.

please explain this. also, is this the same or different from lightpipe?

im hoping to get a rack unit with at least 2 pres, and than a digital out of somesort so i can hook up something like that m-audio octane. im thinkng, would a motu 828 mkii work? im thinking i can do the octane and that can be all 8 tracks for drums, and then 2 pres on motu, if i need more, and the bass and guitar can direct in for scratch tracks. then as i upgrade i can add preamps and such.

can you use these optical inputs/outputs and the analog ins at the same time. technically, would i be able to use the 10 ins on the motu and the 8 on the m audio octane for 18 simultaneous?? or could i only use either the motus or the m audios and one itme? i hope this didnt confuse anybody please help me out

thank you

Back