Sound Card Selection

magoo

I,m trying to buy the right sound card first.
It's between the Soundblaster "Platnum", Midiman 2044 or the Lexicon core 2 cards.

Anyone have any experience with any of these cards and if so, It would be great to get a little input on which one is the better choice. If not, please suggest what you think.

The application will be used for an almost finished home studio. I'm trying to get the computer dialed in with the right hardware. For software, I have been looking at Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0.

I know the cakewalk version is pretty new, but i'm curious if anyone has had a chance to mess with it yet.

Thanks,

Magoo

I Know a Lot of people have the soundblaster card but I think thats cuz its cheep... I haven.t seen many junky thinks with a lexicon label on them, plus lexicon core gives you the option to buy the extra box (or does it come included?) to have the lexicon effects and not use cpu power.. I dont care if u have pIII600 with 256 meg... you're gonna eat up cpu power with reverbs etxc... I would LOVE to have some Lexicon effects that wouldnt eat up cpu power.. Think about that one... all things equal, that would do it for me..
good luck..

Personally, I wouldn't go with a sound blaster, it isn't designed for recording applications, although it has been known to work (in my own machine :) )

I'm not familiar with the other two sound cards, I've been looking at Aardvark personally. If possible, I recommend you get a 24bit sound card (hopefully, those two are), it gives you a lot more data to work with effects, volume changes,eq and so on.

Cakewalk is a good program, been using it for a while now, pretty much compatible with everything under the sun. I'm using version 8, haven't had any problems with it, so long as they didn't mess around too much with the audio subsystem, it should be just as stable.

Good luck!

William Underwood

P.S. I'm running a p166 and it works fine with lot's of effects, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I have used Turtle beach soundcards for years. I also use Voyetra digital orch. plus. There has been a merger between these two companies, and I find DOP VERY easy to use. I finish the song, save as wave and burn it.

Your question is typically answered with subjective suggestion....this mine though....
...try to look at this LynxOne card, as it needs some other companion units to build the FULL needs..but its a dedicated card!

Thanks everyone. You've been a great help and after reading all the comments, I'm now checking futher into the Lexicon core2 card.

reason? It's 24 bit and claims that it doesn't eat up alot of power. It also claims to work within the hardware I'm using.

Thanks rj for giving me the insight on lexicon.

I haven't seen the price yet and will most likely be floored when I do, but it really looks like a card that's expandable for the future.

I found the documentation on it, in LEXICON.COM and downloaded the brochure.

If i had a scanner, i would make the brochure available for all who want.

Thanks for everything,

Magoo

[This message has been edited by magoo (edited 11-12-1999).]

The core32 retails for @ $1000. I'm sure it is quality, so is the digi001 for $1000. But in the under $500 range the midiman stuff can't be beat and quite possibly is equal to or better than both the digi001 and core 32. The Midiman Delta 10/10 in the same price range or less than the digi and core and blows them both away. Just my opinion. Check out the specs, the bells and whistles and don't get blinded by the smoke and mirrors.
The protools LE software that comes with the digi is awesome and powerfull but the PC version won't be available till the next century...well they say January 2000(vapor-ware!!! ARRGH!!). I've posted several other cards that are available e.g.
egosystems "Wami24" and Seasounds "Seasound" powerfull and both less than core and Digi but unproven in the track record department. Midiman is "D" man of the hour or at least the moment....
OOPS!! I noticed I misread what you were looking for big difference between a Core2 and a 32. After looking at the specs of the core 2 and considering the optional effects daughterboard the core2 is a pretty darn good package. Searched around and $399 seems like an average price..don't know what the dayghterboard cost or if it is even available yet but for the name and the quality they are known for the core 2 wouldn't be a bad choice at all..good luck!

[This message has been edited by TAE (edited 11-15-1999).]

Back