Sound card and BoB

Kitwell

Hello all, I am planning on getting into home computer based recording and I am having trouble deciding witch card to buy. I am thinking about.
Omni studio
Digi 001
Aardvark direct pro q10

I have an AMD 1.33 Gbps with a Abit motherboard and 512MB DDR SDRAM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kit

It will really depend on your needs....all 3 are good cards......what sources will you be recording, and how many will you be recording simultaneously?.....

Geargasm and the Home Recordist...

Why not save yourself a few hundred bucks or whatever the difference is, get yourself a SB Live, and learn how to use it?

Maybe you're an experienced analog recordist, and you're really ready to move up to the next level. But if you're just starting out, I'm betting it could be a very long time before you begin to hit the limits of the SB Live.

Maybe it's just that I don't have the money to burn and am forced to push the limits of what I have, but I just don't understand the home recordist's obsession with gear. Now, I don't actively participate in the mp3 forum, but based on what I'm hearing, it really doesn't matter how much money you spend. You're not going to be able to compete with a real studio anyway, so why not just have fun with it?

But that being said, the best sounding album I've ever heard was recorded using ProTools, on the artist's home computer. :)

Well,
I have a SB live; my problem is that I want to record guitar, drums and keyboards. I play all the instruments. I don't know how to convert a/d to get the music in my computer with the SB live. I have never recorded other than with a 4 track. If any one has any ideas I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Kit

Recording

I don't know. That is the problem. 4 minimum for my drums, but mostly only 1 or 2 tracks simultaneously.

Thanks
Kit

Compatability...

Kitwell,
Find out what the chipset is on your Abit, then go to the websites for those cards and make sure the card is compatable with your chipset. Don't forget to check and make sure the card has drivers for whatever OS you are using.

Queue

or you could go out and buy another soundblaster live, and using a program like N-Track you could record four tracks at once. Add a third sound card and you can record six tracks at once...so an and so forth.

You already have a perfectly decent soundcard. Why not learn how to record with that one?

I think Queue was referring to more than two tracks at a time as indicated by the ">" symbol in front of the two. :)

But you could always get a mixer and mix down to two, then record more with a multitracking program playing along with what you already have. Sure- not as flexible as a 16 track digital recorder. Also not as expensive.

that's true drstawl. I can record four tracks at once on my pc. I have a sb live and a sb 128 with n-track. Does the job. It's the same as having a four track digital recorder. But you need a mixer that can send four seperate signals or two different stereo signals.

The SB Live cannot record 4 tracks at once, just 2, even if you have the Platinum model S/PDIF i/o.

Do not try to put two SB Live cards in your PC. The drivers for the SB are incapable of distinguishing that there are two cards installed. However, if you use APS drivers for one of them, that can work. Or if you use a different sound card that has distinct drivers, like SAE, that can also work.

SB Live???

Thanks for all the input; However, I do not have a mixer and I was planning on recording more than two tracks at a time. I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. Where I live there are no copyright laws so software is no problem.

Where can I buy a stereo mini XLR to XLR or 1/4" jack?

Thanks
Kit

SB Live???

Thanks for all the input; However, I do not have a mixer and I was planning on recording more than two tracks at a time. I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. Where I live there are no copyright laws so software is no problem.

Where can I buy a stereo mini XLR to XLR or 1/4" jack?

Thanks
Kit

I think Queue was referring to more than two tracks at a time as indicated by the ">" symbol in front of the two.

Thanks for backing me up there doc, that is exactly what I meant.

Hey Kitwell,
I've got an idea. Let's focus this thread by you indicating how much you're willing to spend, and if you have an idea as to where you might want to take things in the long run.

Queue

Willing to spend

I am willing to spend $1000. I would like to get off as cheap as possible. I also need a mike. I think I am going to buy the omni studio and in a year your two I will upgrade to something bigger. I am at a remote location and all I will be recording are acoustic guitar, vocals, and a Nord lead 2.

thanks.
Kit

Real Drum Kit???

Roger, it is a Pearl Sessions Jazz Kit. But I don't have it here, it is in storage at Norfolk VA so I will not be able to record with it until Aprill 2002. All I have here is a guitar and a keyboard.

Thanks,
kit

Back