sound blaster live platnium.

davejohno

I have a sound blaster live platnium sound card with a amd1800, 512 ram using cakewalk sonar. everything i try to record, wether it's recording midi into audio or recording a guitar through the live drive, is crackly and distorted and when played back is out of sync with everthing else. However if i just try recording with the sound recorder on xp it seems ok. The guy at the music store told me it's my soundcard and i need to get a dedicated audio card. Is he just trying to sell me something i don't need? if not can anyone suggest a decent one that's not too expensive?
A while back i had a similar problem and i found a website that walked me through fine tuning my computer to get the best out of it and it worked quite well, i can't remember where it is now and i've found similar ones but don't seem to do the trick. Can anyone suggest one?
Thanks

I think the website you are looking for is www.musicxp.net lotsa tips on there for tunning for audio.
Make sure that you are using the ASIO drivers for your card. (In cake walk porgrams you can use the tools drop down and look at your sound card settings in there)
If you plan to try to make any quality recordings you will probably need to upgrade the sound card. There are a lot of inexpensive options out there from M-Audio, EMU, ect. I happen to like M-Audio because thats what I have.
Happy tunning
-k

thanks radzikk, that's not the one i was looking for but it's a good one. I finally got it sorted, i was using the WDM drivers, i changed it to ASIO and now it works great.
Cheers

Back