Sound absorbers

rpe

NM - Land of Excrement
Just finished making a couple of sound absorbers. OC 703 (2") framed in wood and covered with a fabric that reminds me of my younger days in the 60's.

Do you think they're too ugly and should have a different covering?

thanks,

rpe

Attachments

• absorber(1).jpg
    absorber(1).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 162
  • absorber(2).jpg
    absorber(2).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 135
Nah, you just need some lava lamps; also, if you want better imaging/sound from your speakers I would move the two you have built lower on the wall and away from the corner by 2-3 feet, then build two MORE and put them diagonally across that corner behind your CRT - maybe even move your setup so it's NOT in a corner, but centered on a wall.

It causes lots of extra reflection problems when speakers are set up across a corner, partly because any square corner (like the two on either side of the mix position, and the one behind your head) will reflect any sound that enters the corner right back out parallel to the incoming sound.

This makes it necessary to put a LOT of absorbent in several places in the room in order to keep these early reflections from smearing the direct sound from the speakers. Unless the room is really small, all that absorbent will often make the room too dead... Steve

rpe said:
Just finished making a couple of sound absorbers. OC 703 (2") framed in wood and covered with a fabric that reminds me of my younger days in the 60's.

Do you think they're too ugly and should have a different covering?

thanks,

rpe

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think your fabric choice works with your room and sets a certain tone that has a somewhat artistic flair. In other words, don't change a thing :D

Now as far as Steve's comments about your setup in the corner, well, listen to the man cause he know from whence he speaks..... (we've been trying to find a way to get me out of the corner of my room over at John Sayers site and my room is just not a pretty sight to work with, but that is another story and not intended to be a hijack of your thread).

Darryl.....

Thanks for the comments. The only thing dictating my mixing position in the corner is that the desk fits best that way (I know that's lame). I agree that it is not a good place to be. I also have a closet in that room that has two bi-fold, slotted wooden doors that I believe are functioning well as slot resonators, so maybe that will help with the extra relections caused by mixing in the corners(?). Anyway, thanks for the great comments Steve, I value your opinions. And good luck with your room Darryl!

rpe

hey rpe, groovy fabric, I dig it. I was just wondering how well you thought those panels worked and if they worked well, were you working from plans or did you improvise as you went. I'm looking to construct some acoustical treatements of my own and I was just wondering what materials/designs work the best. thanks.

volly..............

It's a little early to tell. I had what I thought was excessive reverberation in the room since it is so small (11'x12'x8' ceiling). I'm going to test by recording acoustic guitar this weekend and see if I notice anything different. My objective was to reduce the echo in the room more than for improving the mixing environment.

You may be able to put the speakers to your left (when youre facing the comp they would be to your left) and acheive the same results as moving the entire desk center (I cant see the wall, but judging by your dimensions and the picture you gave, they might almost be centered if you did that) and you could still keep your desk there in the corner (nice fit!)
If you could get a set to the right side (facing opposite of the speakers on the left) it would be like having front/back speakers (5.1 surroundish) but instead it would be left/right. That may be what Knight was trying to say, but i feel smarter saying that now so ha :P
I'm anxious to hear how these panels improved the sound (i got to this thread from your linnk in mine) they look sweet, dont change that at all! I think im going with a cheesy-ass lepard print or something for my fabric. ha
Scott

Back