Sorry, Newbies have many ?'s - SPDIF

etunes

O.K. so I've installed my M Audio Audiopile card, now what?

just kidding, kind of

In going from my VS840 to my sound card what is best to use?
Stereo RCA's
SPDIF
Midi

I am unsure what all can be sent over the midi connection.

Is the spdif cable different than just a regular RCA type cable?

And am I in big trouble if I keep my old sound card installed and in use for other stuff I do on my computer?

i think you told me the VS has S/PDIF outs and if so, that is the way to go.....

only midi data can be transfered via midi....period....(well, i hook up my J-Sation to the Audiophile via midi to change patches, but that doesnt count....you cant transfer audio)

s/pdif cable is different from regular rca cables....75ohm coaxial cable, just like cable tv wire, is what you want......

as long as theyll work together, you can have two cards installed...i have a cheapy card for midi along with my Audiophile....

Help Gidge

I know you have one of these cards. Give me some ideas as to how you use it. I think you said somewhere you plug mics or instruments directly in to your soundcard, how?

Also what kind of software do you use?

And as long as I'm asking . . .

I have an old cassette tape of a performance by our band and I would like to surprise the other members by sending them a cd of it. What is the best way to do that in your opinion?

Thanks

Thanks spin and gidge for your help.

Question regarding spdif - is it bidirectional (if that is a word- do signals go both ways on a single line)?

No. It is strictly unidirectional. Where you might be getting confused is that SPDIF carries both the left and right channel data interleaved on a single wire. So, where you're used to "stereo" meaning "two RCA connectors", for SPDIF you only need one.

Your Audiophile will indeed have two RCA connectors on its fanout cable: one is stereo SPDIF in, and the other is stereo SPDIF out. Look closely, and you'll find that the words "IN" and "OUT" are molded into the plastic on the connector body.

So you'll connect the 840's SPDIF output to the Audiophile's SPDIF input, and vice versa. Two channels come in on one, two channels go out on the other...

Back