Sorry for raising Behringer related question "about B2 condenser"

kenoir

Dear guys:

I've bought a pair of cheap B2 to record a drum, the roof is about 2.2m high, the shape of the room is not trully squared, but it's padded with "so called" studio foams, nothing much expensive.

The B2 itself need phatom power, without it, i get no sound. With phatom power, it's bloody loud even the mixer's head gain is turned to the left. It have a -10dB pad, when used, everything is ok, but still a bit loud.

I may have made a mistake by pointing the mic towards the whiteboard behind the drummer, which gave me the reflected sound of the mashall stack in front of the drums.

It consistently pick up unwanted sound on about 15cm above the cymbals, 35cm above the tom. What method will any experts from here suggest me to use if I want to clear those unwanted sound and leaving me with the cymbals i want? Or generally what will u guys use to extract the track for only the cymbal sound?

Thanks for advice given.

Kenoir

kenoir said:
It consistently pick up unwanted sound on about 15cm above the cymbals, 35cm above the tom.

That explains why it's so loud. Roughly half of a foot above the cymbols and a little over a foot above the toms. Back them off, try 2-3 feet (about 60cm to a meter) above the cymbols. Also, yes, move the amp out of the room or go direct if you have the option. If those aren't reasonable, set up some makeshift gobos around the amp and turn it down to a reasonable volume.

And don't aim to get rid of the cymbol sound with overheads. If you use the right placement, you can get a great image of the kit with just the overheads. This doesn't always work for heavier, more dense music, so maybe put a hi-pass filter on the overheads and bring the close mics (if you're using them) up to taste.

Back