Sore/itchy throat treatments

Surfs Down

Okay, simple question.

Have a recording session booked up for this weekend at a fancy studio. Its been specially arranged and difficult to re-schedule. Problem is my throat is acting up - possibly the early signs of a cough/cold. Feels slightly fragile and its affecting the quality of my singing.

Any suggestions what treatment/remedy to keep my voice working? I've been drinking a ginger/honey mix, which does sooth, but wondered if there were more powerful alternatives.

Cheers.

Hey guys, I think self-awareness is crucial in treating a cold fast. As soon as I feel dryness in my nose or a slight irritation behind my uvula (the little punching bag in the back of the throat), I put Polysporin in my nostrils and I take a combination of natural oils such as camphor, menthol and eucalyptus on my tongue. every so often during the day. It prevents the cold from developing in my throat and I don't get any sore throat. It's worked quite a few times. I haven't had a sore throat in probably 5 years now )

Valerie Bastien
Teacher and Vocal Coach

Traditional Medicinals - "Throat Coat"

3306028301p.jpg

It may not cure a cold/sore throat...but it has a lot of good, natural ingredients that sooth and take away the "bite" of a sore throat.

Give it a try...it may help

Okay, simple question.

Have a recording session booked up for this weekend at a fancy studio. Its been specially arranged and difficult to re-schedule. Problem is my throat is acting up - possibly the early signs of a cough/cold. Feels slightly fragile and its affecting the quality of my singing.

Any suggestions what treatment/remedy to keep my voice working? I've been drinking a ginger/honey mix, which does sooth, but wondered if there were more powerful alternatives.

Cheers.

One of the biggest problems with booking studios is the "unexpected." I place it in quotes because in my life, Murphy's Law is just a warm up excercize for some bigger inevitable obstacle - all of which I have come to regard as "opposition."

I like Riccolahs (spelling), green tea and honey.

Rest your voice, hydrate, maybe eat some fruit.... and a saline shot up the nose is pretty good too.

Oh yeah... idol has a good one too ... eucalyptus.

There's a Chinese remedy for that, Pei Pa Koa syrup is good, you can buy that from a Chinese drugstore.

I always used very warm, almost hot water when practicing vocal exercises, and during live performances. Properly training your diaphram, throat muscles goes a long way towards avoiding burning out your vocal chords. Id recommend getting an annual vocal chord exam my a doctor (theyll snake a tube down your nose to look everything over to make sure its healthy). As was mentioned before, get plenty of rest between between giggs, and especially before any recording studio work when you may be straining for a longer, constant period of time. If playing live, try to encorporate some non-vocal elements to your show (band mates talking, solos, instrumentals), that can give you a short break between singing. If singing a particular song always causes discomfort, drop the key, or eliminate it from live performances.

Back