Sooooo, about drums?

my mixes need drums (obviously) but I am not a drummer and I do not have drums. I recently got ez drummer to hopefully build some nice drum tracks. but any track I make sounds alot like me when I sit down at a kit (like shit). so how does one learn how to make drum tracks, is there a process to making them? if so can someone share their knowledge?

I try to know what rhythm I want before I load up the vsti. Through the time honoured tradition of trial and error, I then manually program the midi til I get what I want. If you do it this way, you need to be sure to vary the velocity otherwise it'll sound monotonously bad. Also, you can add a "humanizer" to the midi track.

Your other option is to finger drum on your keyboard, either one track at a time (e.g. kick) or in combination with many.

Your final option is to work with a real drummer - I've done it to varying degrees of success.

Have fun!

oh sorry I guess I wasn't clear with my problem its not that I make a drum track and it sounds bad its that I suck at making the actual rhythm.

As to the rhythm part, quantizing may be your friend.

Maybe watch some vids of drummers to get a feel of what they can and can't do. Like hitting a hi hat, a floor tom and a snare at the same time...:) that doesn't fly.

But maybe just sit down and play with some beats, quantize, lather, rinse, repeat.
:D

my mixes need drums (obviously)

Why is this obvious?

Drummers are like women. They have all the power. A good drummer can play with anyone they want, so your little project better work out for them, or they'll just move on to the next thing. Look at any musicians classified....it's just pages of "Talented guitarist/songwriter looking for bass and drums". The odds are not in your favor. Of course, if you learn about drums you can harness some of that power for yourself and use it to either program software or (god forbid) play a real kit. Do you listen to music? Next time listen to what the drums are doing...

Why is this obvious?

Drummers are like women. They have all the power. A good drummer can play with anyone they want, so your little project better work out for them, or they'll just move on to the next thing. Look at any musicians classified....it's just pages of "Talented guitarist/songwriter looking for bass and drums". The odds are not in your favor. Of course, if you learn about drums you can harness some of that power for yourself and use it to either program software or (god forbid) play a real kit. Do you listen to music? Next time listen to what the drums are doing...

I'm trying to talk my drummer into moving to San Fran with me for just this reason...

But wait, aren't there just millions of drummers and bass players out there looking for a talented guitarist/songwriter :confused:

Nice! A piano players hands, with the mind of a drummer. That sounds dangerous!! LOL!

Thanks for the share DB. :)

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool, too! :-)
I just muddle through with layering it out with the keyboards, and then tweaking it around with the mouse.
Playing it at that level in real time would be a sweet skill to have. ;-)
Have been jonesing for a decent electronic drum kit for a while. Something like a 10-piece, and add a couple of Ocatapads to fill it out.
But the neighbors down below us would hate me for it.
;-)

I'm trying to talk my drummer into moving to San Fran with me for just this reason...

But wait, aren't there just millions of drummers and bass players out there looking for a talented guitarist/songwriter :confused:

That would require that I be a talented guitarist/songwriter

Trust me, I started out by finger drumming, used manual programming and live drummers, sometimes I sound good, others - oh well! Just get out there and do it. Learn how to drag and drop, you can even find free midi drum files on the web.

Back