Sony TC-277-4: Powers on, won't spin!

spikemtz

Some time ago, I bought a Sony TC-277-4 from a thrift store. It powers on, but when I turn the switch to play, fast forward, or rewind, I get no response! What could be the problem? Is there something special step involved in getting the thing to work? Let me know! Thanks!

Also, if anyone happens to have a user or service manual, perhaps both, in PDF format, that they'd be willing to share, that would be fantastic!

Some time ago, I bought a Sony TC-277-4 from a thrift store. It powers on, but when I turn the switch to play, fast forward, or rewind, I get no response! What could be the problem?

Do you hear a motor running inside when you turn it on?
Have you tried lifting the tension lever while pressing play?

Sounds like you need to order some new belts.
I'm pretty sure that deck is over 20+ years old and will need biasing, calibration, and a damn good cleaning inside & out.

The first thing I do is tear them apart and check that the motor is spinning. It could be several things.

Seems an obvious question but have you threaded any tape? There is a small lever, looks like a paper clip that has been bent, and this is in the tape path. This is a switch, the tape has to wrap around and engage that for any of the mechanical functions to work. I used to have one of these.

I can't remember if I ever threaded tape into it. I'll have to check again. I hear no motors turning at all when I engage the play switch, but it could be the paper clip looking switch! I'll post a follow up soon. Thanks for your replies!

I can't remember if I ever threaded tape into it. I'll have to check again. I hear no motors turning at all when I engage the play switch, but it could be the paper clip looking switch! I'll post a follow up soon. Thanks for your replies!

Or, you can also turn on the power, and push up on the switch by hand. Should then be able to hear the motor.

I turned it on, engaged the play switch, and pushed the "paper clip" with my finger. It worked! The take up reel spins, but I have another question! Should the pinch roller be spinning as well?

I have another question! Should the pinch roller be spinning as well?

Glad to hear you got it runnin'!

Yes, If the pinch roller engages along the capstan and turns,..that is a very good sign.
Sounds like you are on your way to reel to reel recovery.
But,..you are definitely gonna need some new belts for that puppy (or at least condition the ones on it with rubber conditioner)...as well as a good cleaning inside and out.
Have you inspected the head wear at all?
Also, If I remember correctly...you may need some reel spool holders for that deck to make sure the reels don't fall off. (not sure)

Let me rephrase that last question. Should the pinch roller be spinning on its own, or does the friction from the tape rubbing against it make it spin?

20 years old? I had a TC-266 circa 1971. This thing is probably pushing 40 years old. Definitely will need new belts if you encounter any speed or wow/flutter issues down the line.

Let me rephrase that last question. Should the pinch roller be spinning on its own, or does the friction from the tape rubbing against it make it spin?

I honestly don't remember, but generally that's the case. Once you engage the guides (in this case the paper clip looking thingy) the capstan should engage, i.e. you should hear a motor kick in. (I'm going off memory here, I sold mine several years ago) If the pinch roller (the capstan) doesn't spin, but you hear a motor, it is most likely a worn or broken belt as others have suggested. I'm guessing. However, the capstan only may engage when a playback function is engage. To answer your specific question, the pinch roller (capstan) "spins on its own"

BTW, the cool thing about this machine is that it only has one head, which oddly makes it capable of sync. I used this as a poormans "4 track" (actually record two tracks at a time on "Front" and then overdub two more on "Rear" while monitoring the tracks on "Front."

There is a site (the vintage knob?) that should have some info on this. Google is your friend here.

As to age, I bought one second hand, circa 1983, so it is 70s vintage for sure.

Back