Sony TC-136SD: worth it?

Leinad

I've found one of these in a pawn shop near me, I've tested it and it all works fine. I'm new to analog recording and I want something to start me off quite cheaply (This one's £10!) so is this a good unit to start me off? Or if you have another suggestion that's better I'd appreciate it :)

For that kind of money I'd grab it. It looks to be very well made, mid-late 70's model, expensive in its day. Just a well made stereo cassette deck. Has 1/4" mic inputs and limiter which is cool for live recordings. Nothing wrong with starting out on this deck. Be aware that those things use rubber belts and pinch roller, (also maybe idler wheels), all of which degrade over the years and may be due for a change or servicing. Not expensive (if you do it) but it's just part of routine maintenance. Other than that, those things usually last a lifetime. Remember to properly clean the tape transport. If you're curious, want more details, ask again.

Okay, I think I'll get it then :). I was looking at pdf's of the service manual and they're about £3/4 which is reasonable. Do you know where I could buy belts, pinch rollers etc? How would I go about cleaning the tape transports?

Congrats with your R2R :)
For spares go search Ebay. As far as I know the only company selling new spares is Tascam and maybe parts like belts and pinch rollers might be compatible in some cases.

Cool, I'll take a look :). Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it! I've been looking online at what tape to use; and chrome tape (TDK SA etc) would give me better results that ferrite tape right?

Uh, don't know about tape material, some of the experienced users gotta answer that but consider buying tape from RMGI which is a company from Holland making tapes from well-known formulas.
When it comes to old tape I really dig the sound of Scotch.

Much of this comes down to tape, which machine you're using and what kind of tape it is set up for.

A service manual won't really tell you how to change belts or pinch roller but it should give you a good idea what needs to be disassembled (and in what order). It's good to have for that reason. It, of course, will also tell you how to do a more involved service, align etc... but you shouldn't worry about it. You first order of business should be to get the recorder up and running as fast and as cheap as possible. If it sounds and works good then it's good.

The first thing you need to do is actually play back and record some tape to check functionality. When doing so, note any issues etc.... You definitely want to check if the rubber pinch roller is on the hard side (not going sticky) and if so, how dirty it is, maybe looks like it has brow oxide residue. You want to clean that off using some isopropyl alcohol (at least 90%), until all you see is some black. In the (near) future you may want to invest in some rubber conditioner (MG chemicals rubber renue is best). Just a once over is enough for at least a year. You don't want to do that often as this is done merely for restoring the natural grip of the rubber (but only if the rubber roller is hard not soft, on the gooey side - otherwise it needs changing). For routine cleaning, when it gets dirty again, you can just use some warm water and q-tip or small lint free rag.

You also NEED to clean the heads (in the direction of the tracks) with at least 90% isopropy alcohol and q-tips. This should be done every several hours or thereabout of actual tape to head contact. See if there is a "ring" of oxide on the spinning capstan shaft. This should be carefully cleaned too. Be careful that no cotton gets tangled into the capstan shaft base.

The belts probably will need changing if anything is dragging or you get audio problems (wow and flutter), speed issues etc.... Belts stretch overtime or disintegrate. I see eBay sellers selling belts but many are too damn expensive. Those belts shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. If the belts are gone, I would very carefully remove them, measure them and buy ones just a bit shorter or you can get ones selected for you by some seller (but it will be more expensive). You may wanna send the measurements to this guy and he may have the ones you need:
Vintage Cassette Deck Belt KITS and instructions.
Haven't done business with him but he's worth the try.
Another you may wanna try is this one:
Audio Cassette Parts
Lots of belts etc......

Any name brand chrome tape (type II) or standard tape (type I) will work fine. The quality of those early recorders is usually so good that you can get superb audio from just about any kind of tape.

The above recommended minor servicing is really needed on recorders of this age and should be viewed as normal.

If you get a chance, post a photo of yours.

Sorry to threadjack, but are Sony TC series popular? I have a belit kit for a tc 3** (i'll look it up), and i have a mint tc-645 that i've just serviced going for sale.

I was going to keep it with my 22-2 so i had 4 track and 2 track, but idk; If there's a market i'll sell.

Hi, only just got round to posting. It seems like it's in near enough perfect condition. Not a hint of wow and flutter and the pinch roller is nice and soft and grippy. Works like a treat recording or through playback. Cleaned the heads and everything and that was it.

Here's a picture:

IMG-20110915-00352.jpg

Wow, that is a beauty, thanks for uploading the photo. Yup, those old Sony decks are really nice, well built too. The one you've got has everything for live music recording. Wow, it has servo control and the long lasting Ferrite heads. That plus the peak limiter, LR input/output sliders etc... Just a simple, elegant robust design. It's probably pretty easy to service too if it goes that way. Really nice and you've scored big time.

Back