Sony PSLX 350H Turntable - Whats the verdict?

radiogold

I wish to put a odd thousand records to CD. My computer, Amplifier and Soundcard are all working great. I'm on the verge of buying a Sony PSLX 350H Turntable.

I mainly want to get this model, because it has a -10/+10% Pitch control. Before burning the vinyl to CD, I want to make sure the turntable is at the exact speed. I believe that Belt drives are not as speed accurate as Direct Drives. Any discrete inaccuracy I can correct with the Pitch control.

I don't really want to get a Direct Drive as I bought one a few years ago. I had extra surface noise on my records. I was told that this was caused by the motor as with a Direct Drive, the motor is drectly underneath the plate.

I've also been told this audiophile stuff that it's just a Japanese plastic box with a very ordinary sound.

How does the sony sound?? Are they any other makes with a pitch control?? I was going to upgrade the cartridge after buying the Sony. Is this worth while?

Hope someone can help. Thanx

Mark
Leura, Australia

If you want to transfer your vinyl's to c/d, invest in a Technic
SL12-1600! I guarantee you they are the best all around ever made! I'vehad mine for 23 years and they still make this model with a pitch ctl of -/+ 12 . It is a direct-drive and extremely quiet!

If you want the pitch control only to make sure the table is the right speed, isn't it easier to make sure the table is the right speed before buying it?

If I understand it right, belt drives are more susceptible to sway than direct drives, and are also less likely to have the speed controlled by quartz circuitry, but if you get one that is (like the Dual CS-5000) the speed will be as accurate as a belt drive, but maybe with some extra swaying.

It's sway or surface noise.... :-)

Back