sony broadcast board, any way??

Audio_Drivel

I found a very nice looking sony mixing board, 12 channels with oodles of features (compression, limiting). . very pro looking, lots of options. .

one problem, it's a broadcast board, and the connectors on it are these completely bizarre things that look like parallel computer connectors (they arent -- this is pre digital, looks to be late 70s early 80s). . i'm wondering if a mod on this is worth it, or even possible, to get it to work with a standard 8 track reel to reel??

the board is 650 dollars, which doesnt seem bad. .

Video broadcast consoles used those types of connectors a lot. They were made to easily interface with patchbays.

It is probably a decent enough console, but you might not find it totally to your liking as a "music production" console. Audio for video generally doesn't have the same demands on pristine audio, thus the consoles don't usually have to spec out as well. But, you should try to run some audio through it and take a listen. If you can find the pin out for those connectors it shouldn't be too hard to interface with some type of tape deck.

Ed

The connectors may be 25 pin D-subs. They are ok if youy use a patchbay. My console has these and so do my patchbays so no problem. Also, make a mic panel for plugging the mics in. Just buy some hardware and make as many inputs for the panel as there are ins on the board and attach a D-sub connector on the other side. Email me if you need any help.

think it'd be better than my little Mackie 1202 VLZ? That's what I'm looking to step up from. .

i'd love to test it out, but hmm, 50 bucks for the connectors, for something i may not even get. .

oh well, it doesnt look like it's going anywhere anytime soon, i dont think anyone up there knows what to do with it. .

I have an interesting idea for you if you won't be recording 8 tracks at a time. Keep your Mackie. Get on EBAY and find a TASCAM M-208. I just saw two for $100 each. Bargain.

Use your Mackie pre's to record into your 8 track. You can record four (actually six if you do it right) channels at a time with that little board. Monitor the playback with the TASCAM. It has 8 channels, tape/line swiches, 4 subs, pads on each channel and two effect sends if you use the monitor section. These are nice sounding boards and versatile. Three band EQ with sweepable mids. No phantom power, unfortunately, but you have it on your Mackie, which you'll be using as your pres anyway.

I think Tascam has a 16 channel version of this board too. Made back in the days when each channel had its own card. Its just a thought-- for $100 you would be up and running. You can always use this as a submixer when you save up for the Cranesong or some high end mixer!

Gotcha there, Drivel. Personally, I wouldn't touch that board because interfacing it with everything else in the audio world will be a royal pain or impossible. As you research boards, you will find out one thing pretty quick. The jump from the Mackies and Soundcrafts up to the next level is pretty big. Be sure to check and see if the mixer can switch from normal line in to tape in on each channel. If you buy a "live" board, you won't get this important feature. Since you are using only 8 tracks, a 16 channel mixer would bypass the need for switching back and forth.

I agree that the pres and EQ are important. My thinking with the TASCAM was you could get a nice outboard pre and an RNC for what you would spend on this SONY thing--which may or may not handle what you demand of it down the line. Then add outboard EQ as needed or save for that really great mixer you really want. Whatever.

That board could be a real find. Sony bought MCI sometime back
in the '70s (maybe early '80s?). That board could have
MCI pres. As for the connectors: just buy or make a snake or a breakout
box.

You might have something vibey and cool. The compressors and
limiters you mentioned might be reason enough to buy the thing.
A Mackie or a Soundcraft won't have those features (nor will
they ever be as vibey and cool).

Could you post a picture of the board? I might be able to tell
you more about it.

Back