sonusman's "Creepy" rep proceeds him?

participant

Thought I saw somewhere that "Creepy" is actually the local legend "sonusman", or Ed Rei...

Ed, if that's the case, I gotta question about two songs that "Creepy" produced and demoed on the mp3 clinic:

Both "Omega" and "Crashing"... how were the electric guitars

1) tracked?
2) mixed?
3) produced?

Specifically interested in mic placement, number of mics, panning, FX use (delay, stereo imagers, etc.)

Thanks

Chad

PS: If Ed's not Creepy, I'm :o...

Ed, if you're using the psuedonym "Creepy"..........I love it!!!

BTW, did you get the email I sent you some days ago?

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

sonusman said:
Why do you want to know this?

Oh, writing a book :) Actually I was just hoping to gain some insight into this type of production... (i.e. not "steal"... but maybe learn something)

Trade secrets? Actually, I think I understand how to do something like this using delays, panning, and tracking multiple takes. I'm also suspecting some Waves S1 Stereo Imager being used...

Tried producing a song in a similar style, and didn't even get close. I suppose you could argue that there might be those who'd just use this information to copy your style on everything they did.... not my style... but your production secrets are probably worth keeping at any rate.

Anyway... if it really is "stealing" your idea, then consider it a sincere form of flattery :)

Also... it would be interesting to know if/when that band/CD is being distributed.

TIA

Chad

ausrock, yes, I got your email, sorry I haven't responded yet. I really haven't been home much lately and my girlfriends puter doesn't have anything but computer speakers so listening to your mix would be worthless for me.

Participant. I was just wondering why you wanted to know, not because I was worried about "revealling secrets" or anything like that (although me and the guy who DID track those guitars thought of responding that way....:)). I was just thinking that it is so easy to get that kind of guitar sound that you haven't discovered it yourself and moved on to something better...:)

Nope, I really don't care for those guitar tones much. To brittle and harsh for me. I like something a little more meaty.

I just mixed those songs. Did track anything on them.

I do know that most of the guitars on that CD were tracked like this:

Either a Les Paul of a Telecaster (sometimes a combo of both)

2 tracks of JCM 900 mic'ed with a SM57 via a Drawmer 1960 pre combined with 2 tracks of POD on the Mesa emulator running into a Avalon U5 DI box.

So, 4 tracks total. POD's panned left and right, same with the 900.

Maybe a tad of reverb on them. Usually just some low cut eq.

That is it. Nothing more to it. No stereo imager or delay. Just 4 tracks played pretty well and some care taken to get a decent tone.

Ed

sonusman said:
I was just thinking that it is so easy to get that kind of guitar sound that you haven't discovered it yourself and moved on to something better...:)

---

Either a Les Paul of a Telecaster (sometimes a combo of both)

2 tracks of JCM 900 mic'ed with a SM57 via a Drawmer 1960 pre combined with 2 tracks of POD on the Mesa emulator running into a Avalon U5 DI box.

So, 4 tracks total. POD's panned left and right, same with the 900.

Maybe a tad of reverb on them. Usually just some low cut eq.

That is it. Nothing more to it. No stereo imager or delay. Just 4 tracks played pretty well and some care taken to get a decent tone.

Thanks, Ed. Les Paul... check... panning... check... low cut eq... check... so far, that's been done. SM57? I can get even more brittle tones with a Shure Beta 56 :p (but an SM57 is fine)

Guess the difference is: mic placement, sound of the room that it's recorded in, and GOOD MIC PRE's. It's probably a great idea for all us struggling with getting good elec. guitar tones to take an entire afternoon, and just experiment--and order an RNP, or something ;)

--

BTW... as per your famous mixing post--I'm starting to see that EQ'ing sampled drums is bad... just like you said it was.

Thanks again for the help

Chad

Back