Sonic Youth

Baz97

We had the Nirvana thread, and the Chili thread, now its Sonic's turn. If any of you guys have any info regarding both Sonic Youth and Recording, I'd love to here it. There's so much out there about their guitars and effects, but I can find anything about their recording processes. Im really interest in one album in particular - its called "Made in USA" and was the soundtrack for the '85 film going by the same name. It has a desert rock sound, much different from any of there other stuff. I've always wondered if they perhaps used old reel to reels for it - but I dont know enough about them to, so I'm really just guessing. Anyway, hope some of you guys can through some information in my general direction,

Thanks everyone,

Barry.

Desert rock. yeah. thats a good description. yup
I think you are right about them using reel to reel. Probably not a very great sounding one at that.

btw: you know you can hear someone throw firecrackers in the vocal booth during Lee singing that car wreck song on evol.

One of the things I love about sonic is you can almost always totally hear what is going on in the mix. There are very few overdubs, and no studio trickery. Plus kim is f''n hot.

I have to say that Made in USA is my favorite recording of all time, in terms of both the music and the actually recording itself.

No_monkeybiznus - You agree with the reel to reel suggestion - thats cool - wonder what model exactly...

Made in USA - recorded in mid 80s, released in mid 90s.

Thats pictures from the mid 90's I'd say - nothing to do with Made in USA, unless its when they remastered it for release. If I remember correctly, that pic is out of EQ mag, anyone have that copy?

I went to see Sonic Youth in July in Werchter, and they began their gig with 10 minutes of feedback:D

I saw them in NYC before a thousand leaves I believe. The played one note for about fifteen minutes, using volume pedals, the took the note from so quiet you could hear their strings acoustically, to the most roaring loud imaginable, then brought it down again. After hearing it for so long, it kinda messes with you, and you start hearing all these overtones. Excellent.

Back