sonic maximizer question

are these things good in fx loops? i have heard that they are great and that they suck.

the thing is, im not sure yet. i just ordered a tc electronic g major. theres a possibility that i may encounter some "tone suck" through the fx loop of my dual recto because of an impediance mismatch.

i dont know because i dont have it yet, but im just planning ahead.

The Sonic Maximizer which is the most notorious tone sucker on the planet will not fix an impedance mismatch. Using one of those pieces of junk would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

well can you recommend a good buffer for a rackmount setup? i want no pedals, i have a midi controller that will control the entire rig.

You'll have to look up the input and output impedance of your G-Major unit, as well as the input and output impedance of your effects loop on your Mesa. Honestly, I don't think that its going to be a big deal. Hook it all up and if you notice any problems or tone suck, THEN start asking these questions. There will only be a problem if you hear a problem. It's probably a bad idea to just assume that you're going to have problems before you even hook up your new gear and actually play through it.

The BBE is not going to help because impedance mismatches (assuming you actually endo up having that problem) tend to make things sound thinner. The BBE will only make it sound thinner and brighter, thus adding to the problem.

I have never had much of a problems putting stuff in Mesa effects loops that will pass an uncolored signal. If the G-Major has a 'sound', your guitar tone will be filtered through the G-majors sound.

The best thing to do would be to run the effects at 100% wet and mix them with the 'mix' control on the back of the head. Then, your guitar tone will be intact and the only thing that will sound like the g-major will be the effects.

That should be a parallel effects loop you have there...

The BBE needs to be used carefully, minimally and infrequently unless it's THE SOUND you've always wanted.
It's one of the spanners you only occasionally reach for and then usually put back because it often doesn't fit.

Effects loops in guitar amps are not balanced. You would use a normal TS cable. (instrument cable)

Back