Sonic differences between EQ plug-ins?

fishtop_records

are there substantial differences in the sonic quality of
EQ plugins?

I'm currenting running Sonar, had Vegas, and have
CoolEdit, all of which have EQ. Plus
lots of vendors sell EQ plugins. I've never
looked hard at them before, because I had
some that were bundled with the DAW software.

Are there strong differences in sound quality?
If so, who has great sounding plugins that
are "reasonably priced"? And of course,
what is "reasonably priced?"

Is there a EQ that I should plan on buying instead
of that $600 microphone that is on my lust list?

Thanks

There is a significant difference between DAW EQs. Generally speaking, of the native EQs, cubase is the most all around musical sounding. Sonar's EQ is basically worthless and Cool Edit's is nice above 1k or 2k, below that I would only use it to cut.
The dif bet EQs has to do with phase relationships.. among other things...boosted/cut frequencies can shift slightly in time in relation to the noncut or boosted frequencies of a given track. This effects stereo image and overall definition in a mix. Significantly. Aside from that, EQs sound dif. The top end on the pultec is not like the top end on the renEQ. EQs crap out in dif ways and at dif frequencies and allow for different degrees of boosts and cuts. Some are better on transients, some are better on a mix, some on individual tracks, some are clinical, some arent. They are definitely not all the same.
Good monitors will come in handy in telling the dif. Download some demos and boost or cut 6dB on any band and move it up and down through the frequency spectrum slowly. Try it on drums, vox, guitars, pianos, etc. Compare and contrast.

EQs I use regularly and think are the shit: UAD-1 Pultec, UAD-1 EX-1, waves renEQ, waves Linear EQ, Timeworks EQ, Ultrafunk EQ.

The new Oxford EQ that has been recently been relased is meant to be OK. I haven't used it, but assume it will be similar to the EQ on DMX R100. Pretty stale, clinical, etc but still better than waves!

using the waves Q6 and Q4.. i can make Sx's eq sounds sonically cleaner.. but the Q10 tops it...

JuSumPilgrim
why don't you like the timeworks eq? it sounds great and its real easy to use..i've used it plenty of times..
the UAD-1 Pultec i found to be very clean too.. but i try not to use a lot of eq..

JuSumPilgrim said:
EQs I use regularly and think are the shit: UAD-1 Pultec, UAD-1 EX-1, waves renEQ, waves Linear EQ, Timeworks EQ, Ultrafunk EQ.

Eeeerrrr, c9, I think if you read closer, you will see that he actually LIKES the Timeworks eq.

I personally think it is crap like all the rest of them. QMetric is about as good an eq as I have heard.

Ed

Back