Sonic characteristics of tape brands/years

AllenM

I am curious to know if there are sonic differences in using older recording tape. For example there are some ampex tapes that have a rainbow logo which I believe are from the mid70s. How do those sound vs the 80s/90s tapes? Also, what about tapes dating from the 1960s? I hear many great recordings from the late 60s/early 70s that have such a genuine character that I'd like to replicate. Are there any woes to using older tapes with a 2" mtr 90 otari?

I think if you are talking like...a 456 formulation...as long as the tape is not having stick/shed issues...the "sound" of 456 from the '70s should be very similar to the "sound" of 456 from the '90s.
Of course, every batch of tape is made from a recipe...like a stew...which if you follow the recipe "should" always taste about the same. Same way a Pepsi tastes the "same" from can to can...but there could be very minor difference...and the tape formulations might have very slight chemical difference from batch to batch, but I doubt you would really hear a sound difference.

Supposedly the combination of 406 tape on an MCI deck had a distinctive sound to it, but that's just something I've heard of rather than having experienced myself.

Back