songs that are even better for their videos

That's pretty interesting - I'd never seen it - thanks for the link.

Byrne does a pretty convincing impression of being really unusual. I'd almost say the tune would be better without Byrne's disturbing crazy jerkiness. I mean, he's trying to represent a businessman with an empty, meaningless existence, but he just comes across as autobiographical.

I like the Arthur Brown track a lot but the vid doesn't enhance it for me.
It wasn't the lack of "conventional" beauty or the red, white & black palette - just didn't add anything but distraction.
The Talking Heads vid I associate with Byrne squeezing out the band and replacing it with clones of himself so it distracts me from the good song.
Hills - Milarepa - after the kaleidoscope started I left it as it was too distracting/overstimulating & I had to get away from it which is a pity because I REALLY like the music.
This is a lovely song & my fav vid of it was live until I saw this which adds images without trying to be a literal vision of the narrative.

There are probably better uploads of this video out there. The audio on this one is crap for an "official video."

Truly classic, yes. Zappa did similar, but the tune definitely didn't need video enhancement. Inca Roads is sublime all on its onesie:

Such a good band.

I think this video is great. love it! :D

Love the part in the end when they smash everything and a helicopter picks up the puppets. :D

I think the video's even better than the song.
Wasn't that the premise of the thread? :D

Edit haha! Thats what i get for not paying attention.
I got it backwards. Lol

But yes, the video is much better than the song.

Coulda been best thread ever. But no. You had to get it backwards.

I'll go check my lottery tickets now.

When the players are good, just a straightforward shoot of what they're doing makes the music better.

Here's another one along similar lines. SRV soundcheck. It's great even without the vocal in the mix.

Back