Songs need some feedback thanks

johndee1303

hey im a drummer for my band i just want some feedback on the quality of my songs...we recorded them in my house with a Eurorack UB1202 mixer to the computer the guitars bass and vocals were recorded with a Shure SM58 and the drums were recorded with SM58 in the bass drum a Sony F-V610 on the snare and a Shure SM87 overhead my 2 guitarrists dont like the sound i kno it could be better but we dont have that much money.

any advise wat sounds bad and wat sounds good what can i do or try to make the sound better im up for anything thanks

there are the links to the songs

this song was all recorded with computer mics

Last edited:
The song - Vietnam - seems pretty good. The guitar tones aren't however. Try for a tone of your own - digital distortion is daggy.
The lead sound is a bit better than the rhythm.
The snare is way too far forward.
The vocals need to be fitted into the rest of the song.
Bass isn't well defined - needs some top at least.
Get back to it mate.

i agree with everything rayc said. i only listened to 'vietnam'. im far from a pro, and i mean no offense buddy, but that snare is killing me. the rest of the kit sounds like its in a box. in fact, the whole thing sounds like its played live in a closet. the rhythm guitars sound scratchy and sort of 'cheap'. the full-on guitar panning is distracting as well. also, there are several moments in which the song just isnt played in time. like those snare fills at around 1:20. the bass sounds muddy and clips in the intro and in other areas. the vocals are too far back in the mix. just my 2 cents bro. just keep at it. the song is interesting and will sound great once you get it all figured out.

that is alot i thought i had the best quality i could get with just my computer how can i fix the muddiness of the bass and also not to make the drumset sound like its in a box. is it possible that me only recording them with 3 mics and in my garage have to do anything with it? thanks for ur help

I like your sound, it's a great start for the punk genre. The vocals sound thin so you might want to double up on the tracks and delay one of them a hair. Stick a bit of verb on the snare and turn it down a bit. I really like what you did at the beginning and at about 3:15 into the song. It would be nice if you could extend that sustain on the right side until the clean guitar comes in at 3:25. The whole mix could use more top end. Good work, keep it up.

johndee1303 said:
that is alot i thought i had the best quality i could get with just my computer how can i fix the muddiness of the bass and also not to make the drumset sound like its in a box. is it possible that me only recording them with 3 mics and in my garage have to do anything with it? thanks for ur help
bear in mind that im a newb too, but ive learned that drums are very hard to get dialed in when played in a bad room (your garage) or with inadequate/not enough mic's. prep is the key. do as many test runs as you need to to get the durm sound dialed in. once you do, take pics of everything for your records. write down the settings, etc. the rest is easy. guitars and bass are much easier to deal with than drums. play with the EQ's while istening to the whole thing to find where each instrument sounds right in the mix. turn things down instead of louder. youll find that everything comes alive once you get it EQ'd and have the levels set properly. check out the other mp3's in this forum. most of these guys record with pretty basic stuff just like you, and they turn out some great shit. its all in the understanding of whats going on and how much attention to detail you give everything before you hit record.

Back