Songs for Berklee World Scholarship Tour Audition CD

Listening to This Can't Be Love - this is superior stuff, although this is a genre I admire for about two tracks and then get bored with.

Noticed your user name and then the fact that the drums (tom hits especially) were much higher in the mix than feels right - what's the deal with that?

The only other comment was that I'd have liked to hear a little more bass, but really it was very good.

Best of luck with Berklee mate - hope it works for you.

Cheers

Garry

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Let me clarify a little, sorry I didn't say this earlier:
These songs I am sending to Berklee in hopes they will like what they hear and ask me to autition live for them. Yes, the drums are louder in the mix because I am the drummer, and I want them to hear my playing.

Thanks again for the comments everyone, keep 'em coming! :)

recording is a little rough sounding, but i'm listening more to your playing than that...since this is for an audition
The thing with Berklee is it's an easy school to get in (if you can afford it) but hella hard to get a scholarship there. Especially if you're wanting a full ride or anything. Drummers are a dime a dozen and you have to do something to really stand out. Your timing is great on the drums, but i feel like there needs to be more emotion. I'm a big jazz lover and have listened to a lot of amazing jazz drumers. I think you need to throw some drum solos in there too. Something tasteful though...keep that in mind. It's jazz so it needs to fit the style. But a solo would show them that you know the instrument more than just being able to play the rhythm. I just feel that there is something you could do more to separate yourself from the rest. Also, try something besides just sticks. Brushes would sound really good on the first song (This Can't Be Love). The second song I like how it is...nice fills too.
Now you're trying to attend the school right? A word of advice about music schools too. Realize that a school like Berklee is filled full of AMAZING players. Before going into music school myself, I felt like I was good enough to play with a lot of college kids...but my "ego" got smashed when I realized I didn't know shit and I had a lot of work to do. Always know that there is room for improvement and that if you work your ass off you can accomplish what you want to do. Attend concerts, festivals, recitals, take a bunch of private lessons, play at recitals, and practice practice practice.
Good luck with it all!! :cool:

Back