Songage

listened to the first song. what crap mics did you use? It sounds pretty good although i think the kick needs to come up a little with perhaps a little more high end on it. also the overheads could coem down a little, the crash kinda takes over the chorus for me. the guitar seems too loud compared to the vocals. Also I'd like to hear a little more bass. Cool song with good recording i'd just like a bit more focus on the kick, snare, bass and vocals as the guitars and cymbals dominate a bit.

I also listened to "Cloak and Dagger".

I pretty much agree with elementary - the vocals are a little low in the mix. The crash overpowers the chorus. The guitars are pretty cool, but are kind of "all over the place" volume-wise. It's close - just needs some minor mix tweaking, in my opinion. I used to have a similar set-up with a delta 44, and I'm impressed with the sound quality.

Thanks for the tips. I thought the guitars and crash cymbals were too loud on Cloak And Dagger as well, but I was in a bit of a rush. I still need to go back to it and sort it out properly.

Microphones:
Cheap drum mic kit (Skytronic, I think) for the drums: bass drum, toms, snare and two overheads
Behringer XM500 or something like that (very cheap dynamic) on the guitars and vocals

Cloak and Dagger:

Drums are a bit sissy sounding compared to the guitars. This type of song needs to be more about drums/bass than guitars!

The gimmicky hard panned guitars at the beginning annoys me. Semi-pan one and when the second one comes in spread them out.

Wow... the vocals come in and the song's volume drops audibly? What gives?

Cymbals a bit too loud, especially the crashes.

Pretty awesome guitar tones though!

Guitar leads need to go up a bit. If you wanted to experiment with panning I'd move it ever so slightly around in the panorama based on what he's playing and tempo. It also needs to sound a bit more IN YO FACE and nasty.

Overall this is a pretty great early 80's style punk song. It's like the Dead Kennedys twisted stepchild.

Back