Song that will be a collaboration

Pat, there have been some good suggestions here. David K and Sam both made some observations that I think are worth considering. But I'm not sure any of them will affect my part too too much, so whenever you'd like to send it, feel free. Once I've tracked the vocal and have absorbed it more, I'll listen for specific guitar possibilities too. I could probably lay down some twisted melodies and harmonies that would fit in well with the Broadway darkness. We'll see. I may be without an amp for a week, or maybe two.

But anyway, go ahead and send it when you're ready. Without an amp, I can do very little other than vocals anyway so I'd like to get started on this soon.

We can pick this up in PM's.

Tom

Cool start and feel - definite Broadway. SLuiCe should do a number on this for sure. I'll be waiting for that!

My only complaint is I want to hear all the background music better. I understand this will help Tom with the vocal melody, but at this point I want to hear your part! LOL If I turn it up to hear the background music at a good level, I might not have hearing left. :)

Looking forward to this collab. Thanks.

Given the early state of the song, it's tough to come up with many suggestions. The one recommendation I'd make before you hand the project over to SLuCe is to put some kind of compression/limiting on the instrument tracks. They were quite a bit back in the mix and tough to hear. It might be a little easier to track the vocals if the backing music were a little louder.

Just a quick thought.

Aw man, my poor heart... ;)

(Peddy suddenly remembers one of the reasons why he left the conservatory after two years...the amount of overanalyzing was bad for his heart)

This is going to be interesting...I'm curious how Tom is going to sing this...

Do you know They Might Be Giants, Studioviols? I hear a resemblance in their way of singing...

Oooh this is going to be interesting!

I would bring the entire mix up a bit, except the timpani. There is more than enough room for vocals on top of what is there. The piece is very dramatic and presentational.

tried to listen but it timed out on the d'load. tried to read the comments but i don't have three days! i got lost after david k started talking about parallel fifths. lol.

I didn't count on seeing this thread again until a new mix was available. But I will take the opportunity to make some replies.

erichenryus : You are a good man for trying your best to keep up with the board and spread your energies fairly. nowhereradio.com can only continue to grow stronger, I did post this at 192kbps and I notice in my stats a lot of stop and start attempts to stream. LoFi attempts are general single attempts, and attempts by the same IP at LoFi look like they either complete, or if there is a re-attempt it's well within the song. HiFi looks like it craps out in 5-10 seconds and a second attempt is then made. I need to remember to put a 'just download this, it won't stream well' disclaimer for my HiFi posts at greater than 128kbps quality.

Pedullist : I left conservatory for a band ! Big mistake ? 'They Might Be Giants' rings a musical bell ... and I think they used a violin on stage, I know they had some real string arrangements in some of thier tunes, I'll look them up. Maybe you can turn me on to your fav tune of theirs with strings in it for ... ahem ... research purposes only ... :D

TripleM : Certainly, a loud, smooth, dry mix is ideal for Sluice to sing over, and technical details about bouncing the livesynth pro tracks to WAV in the SONAR project so Sluice will have the best flexiblity to monitor the project while singing, and being 100% certain that I will then get tracks that have no synch issues are my greatest concern. A technically sound project going out to Sluice is crucial and this thread has been very valuable for me.

skids : Sluice : Khompewtur : muzeman : Powderfinger : B.SABBATH : MC GITARZ :

Yes, straight up cold busted ... I love to sing and write Broadway type 'character' tunes. The role I craft for a singer in a song, is like an actor, usually very progromatic. I hope to write an operetta or Broadway stage play one day. If Sluice can inject some of his 'Art Rock' into this piece, possibly I can then see the path ... to make it RaWk ... I hope I can do this ... maybe GodSpellish ... or 'Hair' type of thing ...

DavidK : Thank you for urging me to address the pure theory of the piece, it has given me tremendous insight into many issues.

Toki987 : Twist : Ledmech :

Thanks for the listening and comments ... and general board member support ... I owe you a Bartle and James !

erichenryus said:
i got lost after david k started talking about parallel fifths. lol.

LOL! I thought that might happen! It is a music school geek thing, but it makes sense. Parallel Fifths are a no-no in traditional writing. In Rock, anything goes, but in formal classical study, Parallel fifths do not work. I could demonstrate it in person, but let's face it; only classical geeks are interested:cool:

oops

Sorry man....it just reminded me of a song I heard on South park a while back.........I think I'm too young to be posting here.

Man this is cool.

You let it all hang out vocally, and it works well.

Im not sure why you would wanna have anyone else sing it. ...I mean Sluice would do a great job, but so have you. I would like to hear him come up with an offsetting rhythm/acoustic guitar part even more.
Whatever you do, its gonna be very cool. I like this alot.

I dig your drama!!!!
gw/5

:D :D :D :D

DONT FUCK W/ SAM!

EDIT- reading back, ya know spewing these oversized curse words is a really foul habit.

EDIT2- g'morning fellas

DavidK said:
LOL! I thought that might happen! It is a music school geek thing, but it makes sense. Parallel Fifths are a no-no in traditional writing. In Rock, anything goes, but in formal classical study, Parallel fifths do not work. I could demonstrate it in person, but let's face it; only classical geeks are interested:cool:

Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes, the guitarsolo is parallel fifths right? Does it work? Well, it's 'symphonic' rock, difficult to decide whether it 'goes' LOL :D

Haha, metal is based on parallel fifths. Very rebelious music, of course, metal. They even contain dimished fifths! The devil's interval! How dare they? :)

OK, I shut up. Work drives me crazy today. I had to talk nonsense for 5 minutes. Excuse me....thanks for your attention.

*in officer Brady's voice*

"move on, there's nothing to see here"

I find it so weird. Parallel 5th's are almost MANDATORY to make a good rock song, but when you hear them in counterpoint classical it sounds off. Dunno why but it does.

Diminished 5th's were the inspiration for the god of the sea in Roman/Judaic times. He was this God of the Sea name "Triton" and he had this magical 3 pronged rake+1 called "Korg" thus the names of the fantastic modern day instruments which get there names thus from using such underwatery sound fonts that the reverbs give them. Thus it went

Triton ~~~> Tritone

Korg ~~~> Korgan ~~~> Cassius Corgan ~~~~> Cassio

Pedullist said:
Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes, the guitarsolo is parallel fifths right? Does it work? Well, it's 'symphonic' rock, difficult to decide whether it 'goes' LOL :D

Nah, that is pop rock. I heard an interview with the Yes guys, and they were talking about how that song Changed their lives, all of a sudden they had "Girls" at their concerts!!!

Brag mode on: I played with YES. One of the coolest gigs of my career, I sat two feet from Anderson's "station" ( he plays percussion, this lyre thingee, etc.) Wakeman wasnt there, dag nabit. Brag mode off.

finally got it.

dude, that was really scary!

as for the mix, you mixed the vocals real loud so sluice could hear everything clearly right? cause the vocals are extremely loud in the mix. everything else is very distant. that's on purpose right?

you're feelings are definitely coming through in the delivery. maybe a couple notes are off pitch, but not much. so why you want sluice to do it? not that sluice isn't a good choice, i just think you're making your point pretty well on your own. just bring up the other elements in the mix and you're there on your own imo.

edit.

I propose the next HRC is to write a piece using as many parallel fifths as possible. Wait, isn't that what 'bar chords' are? Or 'power chords'? When you put your whole finger across the fretboard and then put another finger up two frets and over one string? Just move that hand position up and down the neck and your a rock star right?

Back