Song in need of vocalist

mawtangent

Hey...I've enjoyed this site and interacting with you all...I've tried to not be a jerk or give out misinformation...Last night it hit me that a solution to a musical problem might be here:

I have a song (that has been sitting around for over 8 years) that is arranged with music and lyrics but I cannot sing it and cannot find anyone else who can/will. The song makes me think of something that Barbara Striesand or Frank Sanatra might sing...it might need a vocal that is dramatic or sort of over-the-top. My wife wrote the lyrics and I have been told that it is suited well for a female singer, but I welcome anyone to give it a try.

At this link I have a version with my pitiful vocal (Mask(w/vocal) and I also have a version with music only (Mask(music-no-vocal)) that can be used as a backing track for a new vocalist.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/kanthonymusic.htm

I like the arrangement of the vocal but I would like to hear it sung well. If anyone would like to put a vocal to the music that would be great. The MP3 on soundclick.com is only 128 bps. I could send a larger (better quality) MP3 or a wav file of the music. If anyone wanted to experiment and add more instrumentation etc, or even redo the song that would be great (I would just like to retain credit for writing the song and I would give due credit for any contributions by others). Right now (because of the vocal) I'm embarrased to play the song to anyone...I just really like to get a good vocal to it and make it presentable. I appreciate any help...Here's the lyrics:

(BEHIND THIS) MASK

The music is floating, drifting in the stillness of the night
The shadows are flickering, dancing in the candlelight
Too afraid to let you see what I'm feeling deep inside
Too afraid of what you'll think of me, so behind this mask I'll hide

There's emptiness and lonliness every time we're apart
There's yearnings and longings deep inside my loving heart
See what makes my laugh, see what makes me cry
See what makes me want to live and what makes me want to die...

But it would be too much, it would be too real
And I can never tell you how I really feel...Nooo....

So behind this mask I will hide...........ahhh...oh...

So behind this mask I will hide

I might give it a shot, just for the hell of it. Though, I'm a male vocalist and doubt I sound like Frank.

this might be cheesy.

Hey grn...cool...let me know if you want a higher quality music file (either here in this thread or PM me)...and send me a link to the finished song (you could even put it in this thread if you like)

Thanks Flechdrop for listening...this type of song isn't what I usually do, just sort of hit upon the arrangement and it stands out to me because it is unique (compared to other songs I've made)

OK... I was looking to test out my new AKG-414B, so I thought I'd go ahead and try to play with your song a bit...
I've never considered myself a vocalist by any means, but I usually fill in when our singer needs a break... And she was busy tonight so I got to play with the mic.. lol

Anyway, not intending to splash in grn's puddle, (I can't wait to hear his vocals) but here's my feeble attempt on singing on your song... I just recorded your mp3 into my VF16 and then sang along... Mixed it down to a quick stereo track with a splash of verb to try and cover my mistakes (tho looks like I should have added a lot more lol) :D

Nothing fancy and there's a few clunker notes on my part, but it was fun...

Hope you don't mind :o

Mask

Have started recording my own vocals on it. Have to go to work now but will continue later. Good tune.
This is my work so far

but I need to retake it later as I missied some tones :)
I'm also having a flu (excuses excuses)
Will repost a better version later.

Last edited:
Wow; listening to that now I regret I posted it; hehe
Will redo when I'm back home and get it better
Geez

Hey BentRabbit...cool...you definitely have a better voice than me... my wife was really happy that someone she never even met took the time to sing her lyrics...made me thing of Michael Crawford...

Emusic...that is really dramatic...anticipating the finished song

I posted an updated version of the music-track at the same link. I hope this doesn't throw a wrench in the works for anyone...this is what happened...When I was trying to convert the music to a bigger file I discovered that the largest file I had was 192 kbps MP3... so I went back to my original sequence (using my Yamaha V-50 keyboard) and discovered that I had added to the music (a couple of crash cymbals and some extra string sounds) since I made my last recording of it.........I tweaked the mix some (put the piano up the middle to even it out) and have posted it on the same link as: (something like) Mask(music-no-vocal)IMPROVED(12-29-04)...I feel it is a better rendition...it is there if someone wants to use it...also I have successfully sent the music-track by email as a 320 kbps MP3 (the size was 10.5 MB) if anyone is interested in having a bigger/better file, and can recieve a file that size, let me know (I can also make it a 160kbps, 192kbps, or 256kbps, size file, ranging between 5 and 8 MB)...Thanks for your efforts, I am enjoying this collaboration experiment...Kerry

Yeah please mail the bigger MP3 to emusic @ emaker . no
A friend of mine is a good vocalist and he is coming to my house soon. He might want to give it a shot.

Here is my full version so far (4.1 MB)

Please mail the high quality version as requested in one of my posts.
Did you do a tempochange an the improved version? The tempo on the first one I downloaded was 75 bpm but that doesnt seem to fit with the improved one.
EDIT: Latest; got your file. Replied to your email.

Last edited:
Emusic is right...I recorded the last version (and maybe the one before that) at 74 beats per minute instead of the original 75 bpm...I've become a bit obsessive about getting the music as right as possible so I am going to put one more (I seriously hope this is the last) version on soundclick in the next few days and try to send a bigger file to anyone who wants/can receive it by email (I've had a bit of trouble sending large files and having a message "bounce" back stating that the file was undeliverable)...

Ryan/RedStone I am glad you tried it out. It's interesting how different people are putting their own take on the song and doing some improvisation. I liked the sound you were getting on the vocals (and I assume the S.E. H3500 is the microphone you were using)

yeah I used the 3500 to record that take ... has a nice flat response but it could use de-essing to take out some of the sibilance on the vox

Back