Song for all the years

gummblefish

Twitchy Wanker
Another song of my new album, again this one is not mixed properly, theres a few problems such as the lead guitar which grates on me because it seems to move around in the stereo field and in volume, though when i mixed it, it didnt show. I think conversion to mp3 via itunes seems to be a bit shit. I always have trouble with reverb though i liked the amounts of it on "Prometheus of my soul" other tracks dont seem to be as forgiving even though they were recorded on the same day. And in one take. I remember Dave Gilmour once saying that he usually gets the solos in one take and the rest of the takes are pretty much derived from the first one. I guess i like to leave things as they are in terms of takes because 1. im lazy and 2. I wanted a raw feel ( the lazy mans excuse). Anyway track is called "song for all the years" Any ideas on controling that guitar would be helpful. Thanks. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=494831

You could use some compression on the lead to even out the volume but it sounds fine to me.
Get yourself a sep. MP3 converter - I use the one in Easy CD Extractor as it gives choices about quality etc and has been solid thus far, (touch head in lieu of wood).
Every time I see Prometheus I think of the sub heading for mary Shelley's Frankenstein (the Modern Prometheus).
Prom certainly is an enduring analogy/metaphore/image.
This is a really good song mate.
You've gathered together a clutch or D & M's that are also entertaining.
One take wonder is a nice thing to aim for. I often wish, when up to take number 56 that I'd recorded the 1st three as they always seem to have the essentials somewhere in their number.
A very distinctive voice.
have you mamanged to see the new Horslips DVD? I've had it on oreder since it was 1st rumoured but it still hasn't materialised down under.

I don't have much to add as to ways to improve what you are doing but I thought it sounded really good. I like! Nice work.

rayc said:
You've gathered together a clutch or D & M's that are also entertaining.

have you mamanged to see the new Horslips DVD? I've had it on oreder since it was 1st rumoured but it still hasn't materialised down under.

Thanks for the kind remarks. Not sure what you mean by D and M's. Please elaborate, ive just returned from the pub (before heading out in about 20 mins to another one....life is hard) and im a little drunk and confused :confused: .

As for the Horslips DVD. I havent seen it but i have a friend who is a massive fan and she says its tremendous. I may call in there later, i may steal. Do you want a piece on that action? By the way thats not what i will be saying to her, probably more along the lines of...."oh come on, you know you want a piece of this action" Or my Kojak approach "who loves you baby?"

D & M Deep & Meaningful.
Re Horslips - I've ordered it so I'll wait - thanks anyway.

dude---wow ,,i love it!

i drop that song into my station on soundclips, thanks for recording it.!
i'll be checkin back to pick up a album after payday if you got it.

dig the washburns too.!!

turtlishous said:
dude---wow ,,i love it!

i drop that song into my station on soundclips, thanks for recording it.!
i'll be checkin back to pick up a album after payday if you got it.

dig the washburns too.!!

Nice one man, thanks for your support.

Enjoyed it. Tight performance. Rhythm guitar's perfect. Vocal's very well in tune. I'd reduce the verb on the vocal just a little. And I'd increase the verb on the lead guitar a touch to move it back next to the vocal, maybe reduce the lead gtr by a dB.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Enjoyed it. Tight performance. Rhythm guitar's perfect. Vocal's very well in tune. I'd reduce the verb on the vocal just a little. And I'd increase the verb on the lead guitar a touch to move it back next to the vocal, maybe reduce the lead gtr by a dB.

Tim

Cheers Tim. Where have you been in the last few weeks? havent seen you in the mp3 clinic for a while. The world held its breath for your return. Did you get that rumble tune mixed yet?

Last edited:
This is my favorite song of yours so far. And I love the others. too. That guitar riff in between the vocal lines is amazing. Great lyrics. I find the guitars sit just right in the mix with the vocals. I can't find anything I'd say needs improvement, this is great.

Last edited:
gummblefish said:
Another song of my new album, again this one is not mixed properly, theres a few problems such as the lead guitar which grates on me because it seems to move around in the stereo field and in volume, though when i mixed it, it didnt show. I think conversion to mp3 via itunes seems to be a bit shit. I always have trouble with reverb though i liked the amounts of it on "Prometheus of my soul" other tracks dont seem to be as forgiving even though they were recorded on the same day. And in one take. I remember Dave Gilmour once saying that he usually gets the solos in one take and the rest of the takes are pretty much derived from the first one. I guess i like to leave things as they are in terms of takes because 1. im lazy and 2. I wanted a raw feel ( the lazy mans excuse). Anyway track is called "song for all the years" Any ideas on controling that guitar would be helpful. Thanks. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=494831
Damn, you write some great tunes g-man.....Can't wait for the CD to become available..... I might turn the lead down a hair but it has a nice bright sound that I enjoy so no eq recs from me....I actually think it works ok... Agree with your lead on first takes, although I have spent a few trying out variations until it really sits nice. Your does so.....

:)

Really nice balance of acoustic guitars. Vocal is good too.
You remind me (on some way) about Dylan.
Only that you sing better and sound better than him.

Sounds very cool.

Great song writer sound, love the sound of the axe and voice, your voice is very classy man, lots of character.

The vibe of the tune really mellows me out, makes me nice and comfy.
Great stuff mate

Very 70'ish lyrical/guitar stuff Gummble. Excellent vox and acoustic playing...smooth and heartfelt story telling. Reminds me of Bob Dylan...only you can actually sing. ;) :D

Nice recording of the guitar..sounds great. Vocals fit in the mix well...nice performance, and good mix man...nothing to really add, but nice job. I like it much. :D

gummblefish,
Talking with you re Horslips has broken the hoodoo. the DVD I ordered in April has been posted TODAY. Can't wait.

Thanks everyone that has listened. Im very flatered by some of your comments, it spurs me on to keep writing. The Dylan Thing is a BIG compliment. i very much respect his writing. I have been told that same thing on several occasions whilst playing live. It feels good to have your peers actually listen to your stuff and even like it. At the minute im just putting as many tunes up onto Soundclick as possible, most are rough mixes, though maybe 70% done. I just listed to the full album in its running order on my Ipod as i walked around town. I have to say i actually enjoyed it, and thats the first time i have ever enjoyed listening to myself. My reservations about releasing it is now starting to disapear, bit by bit. I am currently trying to get all the mixes done then get the album covers and booklets printed. I just want to get it out but theres so many hoops i still have to jump through. Mastering may be a problem because of lack of funds. I'll wait til i have all the songs mixed the best i can. Thanks again. :)

Back