sonar4 track folders question

crosstudio

once again i am contemplating upgrading to sonar4 from sonar2. at first, it was for 88khz recording, which i've decided isn't a big deal, now its for the track folders.

here are my stupid questions:

lets say i have 8 tracks of drums that have various panning, volume, eq and compression and i put them in a folder
1) will they all maintain there individual mixed setting including FX?
2) can i change the volume of the folder track and have the relative volume of the tracks in the folder change too?
3) lets say i have a delay on the high-hat, how difficult will it be to adjust that fx when the hat is in the track folder?

Can anyone with sonar4 and a tascam fw-1884 tell me if the 1884 plays well with sonar when you put tracks into a track folder?

will my track folder have a fader

crosstudio said:
once again i am contemplating upgrading to sonar4 from sonar2. at first, it was for 88khz recording, which i've decided isn't a big deal, now its for the track folders.

here are my stupid questions:

lets say i have 8 tracks of drums that have various panning, volume, eq and compression and i put them in a folder
1) will they all maintain there individual mixed setting including FX?
2) can i change the volume of the folder track and have the relative volume of the tracks in the folder change too?
3) lets say i have a delay on the high-hat, how difficult will it be to adjust that fx when the hat is in the track folder?

Can anyone with sonar4 and a tascam fw-1884 tell me if the 1884 plays well with sonar when you put tracks into a track folder?

will my track folder have a fader

Im new with 4pe from 2.2 but I'm gettin the hang of it more each time I study the new qualities. I can answer some of this for you.

1. yes. It's like porting that track over to a new console and out of the way and assigne to one channel but with all the patching intact. Will condense the number of exposed tracks down to one.

2. The only way I`ve seen to do that, so far, is to assign all the tracks within the folder to a virtual sub and patch the effects in to the sub.

3. No problem. It`s the same as if they were in the track window before moving them to the new folder. In order to see the tracks you have to click on the breifcase and it`ll open all the tracks for you. With it closed you see a minimized track and in the right pane you see one track with several different colored lines depicting the ini tracks.

no folder fader. unless every thing in it is assigned to a sub.
I got a small project and will post some screen shots for you. without a track folder and with one.

maybe these will show up ok.

Attachments

• withouttrakfolder.JPG
    withouttrakfolder.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 18
  • withtrakfolder.JPG
    withtrakfolder.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 18
thanks for that.

that's what i wanted to see... a before and after. i just bought the upgrade.

88.2khz, track folders, sample time stretching, and a sonitus fx update... oh and an alleged improvement in streaming (we'll see about that).

Last edited:
best bet is to use the "group" function instead of subs when you want controls to move together - right click on the control (say volume) and assign to a group (say "B") and just add each one to the same group. you can also move them relative to each other by using CRTL key when adjusting the control (so you don't have to ungroup-regroup). check the help file for more features but grouping is very useful when you have relative levels all set up and you want to adjust them together (like vocal tracks, guitars, drum kit, etc...) you can control a number of functions: volume, pan, envelopes, etc...) HTH.

but can you move the group without having to unpack the folder?

it you have a drum mix tucked into a track folder with the volumes assigned to a group, do you have to display the individual tracks in the folder to make the adjustment or can you just assign the track folder to the same group and make the move?

Good question. I 've been overwhelmed with the new accesories enough that I had not yet considered what gullfo mentioned, but I'll try it tonite. However if the foldered tracks are active while open or closed (which they are) while assigned to a group, it seems to make sense that all the routing and patching would be intact and operational as well unless something is frozen . ya think?

It works fine. after assigning a control module (volume in this case) of a track in a suitcase to a group and the submix channel assigned to the group , by adding the same control module (volume is already there) to the group it moves the levels relative to the movement of module in the group buss.
Whether open or closed.

you can also select whether the slaving of the control modules in the individual tracks are absolute or relative to the master module in the new buss.

I guess this shows how lazy I am... I should already have known. :o

Last edited:
Back