Sonar with xp or win98

Flash

What version do you have? Which operating system? Right now I have 1.3.1 on a xp pro os. I use to run on win98. Does Sonar 4 run on win98 or do I have to have xp? What are the advantages of xp if any? The reason I ask is, ever since installing xp, my Roland JV-1010 no longer works for midi since there are no xp drives at the present time. I'm thinking about going back to 98, is that a bad idea? Or do I just trash my Roland and get another midi module? What would you do?????

I have a Roland XV5080 and that works fine with XP. What exactly is your problem with the module.... what midi interface are you using? What exactly doesn't have drivers?

In regards to your first question, I am sure there are lots of technical answers to 98 vs xp, I switched to xp (from 2000) and xp has been much more stable and user friendly. Sonar rarely crashes the system. So, I would never go back.

Not sure I can help, but posting the answer to the questions couldn't hurt!

Take Care

Sonar 4 does not support Windows 98. It may run, but you have no guarantees.

XP is sooo much more solid, and if you revert to 98 you will find yourself in the situation more and more of not being able to use newer products.

I am surprised the Roland doesn't have XP drivers. If you can find drivers for Windows 2000 - or even Windows NT - they should work on XP.

Flash said:
What version do you have? Which operating system? Right now I have 1.3.1 on a xp pro os. I use to run on win98. Does Sonar 4 run on win98 or do I have to have xp? What are the advantages of xp if any? The reason I ask is, ever since installing xp, my Roland JV-1010 no longer works for midi since there are no xp drives at the present time. I'm thinking about going back to 98, is that a bad idea? Or do I just trash my Roland and get another midi module? What would you do?????

MIDI devices do not need drivers unless you are using the serial port on the 1010 (which is a bad idea).

Why aren't you just running standard MIDI cables?

Well, after reading you guys replies I'm confused. Here's my setup that I'm using. Delta 1010 sound card, not LT. I'm going midi out to midi in on the JV-1010, midi out on the JV-1010 to midi in on the Delta 1010. I use 1 & 2 out on the Delta 1010 to run to my Hefler TA1600 for sound. In sonar it see's midi as the Delta 1010. I'm sure when I used 98 and sonar, sonar seen the JV-1010 as the midi where I could use all the patches. Now I have none. When I play a midi tune the midi lights on the Delta 1010 blink and the lights on the JV-1010 blink, but I hear nothing. I did a search at google and it seems other people must be having the same problem. They all talk about there are no drivers for the Roland JV-1010 for XP. I did read one place where a guy used the nt drivers but ran his though the serial port with an adapter somehow. I shouldn't have to, nor do I want to do that. If you think I'm doing something wrong please let me know..........Thanks
If you need any other info just let me know..... Thanks again.

O.K. Now I really feel stupid. First off, when I put XP on my computer I reformated the whole hard drive. When I did that I lost my Cakewalk instrument definition for the JV-1010. Secondly, I guess I had to replug in the L & R outputs from the JV-1010...duh. Maybe I had one to many last night while trying to hook everything back up.... anyway everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your replies, it made me open my eyes.

Back