Sonar v.s. eMagic v.s. Pro Tools

If you are considering using one of these three programs....

There will be a few factors to take into consideeration:

Which program do YOU like to work with the best?

What are your finished product goals?

Will you be providing services to the public?

Will you be sharing music files with other studios?

If you answer yes to the previous question, what are they using?

What is your financial budget?

Are you PC based of MAC based?

There are a TON of more questions......

Please, reply.

Peace...

spin

thundercage said:
Anyone tried these? How do they compare for real studio use?

Like SPINSTERWUN said, you need to decide what your other requirements are. Logic is Mac only now whereas Sonar will only run on PCs.

if you really mean "real studio use" then its Pro Tools - but TDM or HD

All the others are great and so is Pro Tools LE. Just as is said a matter of preference.

For an all in one composing/producing package - I think Sonar is great.

lD

This is my first post in this forum for a while and the thought crossed my mind that 2 years ago, the idea of mentioning Pro-tools and Sonar in the same sentence would have been ridiculous. Shows how far Sonar has come.:cool:

The answer to the original question is all the above plus....why wouldn't you want Sonar:D

;)

Bang for buck.

There is always going to be some other cool toy to buy in audio land so don't blow your entire budget on sequencing software.

Don't get into a metaphysical dilemna about which is better - just use one and do it now.

Just get recording.

As long as you do that right, you can always export the individual files into Fred Bloggs' multi-million dollar Pro Tools suite for a professional mix after the record company realise that you are most likely the second Beatles and are willing to pay the bills.

Until then, don't buy anything more than one level above your immediate needs. You can always offload stuff second hand to upgrade later.

Q.

What are your finished product goals?

Either CD-R with tracks mixed down or CD-R mastered for duplication.

Will you be providing services to the public?

Yes.

Will you be sharing music files with other studios?

I would like to in case the clients would like their work mastered elsewhere.

What is your financial budget?

As inexpensive as possible. The studio is about 2 weeks from completion. I've already used and own Sonar 2 and the Aardvark Q10 and found it effective.

Are you PC based of MAC based?

PC

I plan to backup sessions onto DVD+R for archival purposes. If sharing projects with other studios, what issues do I need to consider with Sonar to make this possible?

I've already used and own Sonar 2
Well,then just take the upgrade.Nothing could be cheaper and you already know the software,saving you time and money.
All these comparisons can get to be a bit nitpicky.If you've got the talent and knowledge you should be able to make a decent recording with most recording software.

Just remember that All theCool Kids Use Sonar.:cool: :D

I was a long time sonar user (while, maybe not longtime by everyone's standards here... but i used it for a couple years.) I had great success with it, but wanted an interface. I decided to get a digi001 because it had asio so I could use it with sonar at the same time as I learned protools.

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!

protools LE is the stupidest program ever. It does the exact same thing as sonar, except it wants me to go out and spend $400 on my computer before I can do anything with it... and whats worse... the lowest possible latency I can have in sonar with it is 40 ms!!! If protools doesn't AMAZE me after I upgrade my machine I'm trading it in and getting a REAL interface. Any suggestions?

Back